🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer did not complete first milestone b...
Page options
48f3118e
Community Member

Freelancer did not complete first milestone but want full payment

I hired a freelancer to create an animated music video. He could not complete the work by the deadline originally agree on or complete the tasks need for the first milestone. I payed him $20 of the $100 for his time and asked for a $80 escrow refund. The first milestone needed a approved first draft video before payment this draft included the character designs and background. The freelancer has submitted a 12 second clip and did not complete the character designs but has disputed the refund request expecting full payment. I am not paying for an incomplete job.
5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

You and the freelancer will need to come to an agreement about how much money you will release to him. Otherwise, a formal dispute will be created, which will tie up the money until you can come to an agreement.

There is no button that you can click which lets you unilaterally refuse to pay the freelancer the money in escrow. If you ask for money back, a refund request will be generated. The freelancer will have an opportunity to accept or reject the refund request. So if you want this to be resolved as quickly as possible, you will need to get the freelancer to agree to a compromise amount before you close the  contract and request a refund.

Alternatively, you can release all money in escrow, and close the contreact unilaterally. That is a move which the freelancer can't block or counteract.

I have already sent in the request for $20 and he has already disputed the amount. I will not pay him an extra $80 of any of my money.

I hope that things work out for you.

Because the freelancer rejected your refund request, you are now in a formal "dispute."

This means that an Upwork mediator will attempt to get you and the freelancer to come to an agreement about how much money each party receives.

How long does it take for the mediator to intervene? I am not seeing the dispute under my disputes or my request only under contracts.

The mediation period will not exceed 30 days.

Can read more about this topic here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062068-Respond-to-an-Escrow-Dispute

Latest Articles
Learning Paths