🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer didn't complete job, and has gone ...
Page options
cff61574
Community Member

Freelancer didn't complete job, and has gone completely unresponsive to refund request!

For some reason my payment has been released to the freelancer even though I didn't approve this, I didn't see they had submitted work so I assume this was time based, that after a set time, it automatically releases, however, the quality is terrible on the work they submitted and they have now gone completely silent on me after 3 weeks of waiting for a response on a refund request! 

How can I get my money back?? 

7 REPLIES 7
759e32fa

Hi Max,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I checked your account and can confirm that the amount has not been released to the freelancer. It is currently being held in Escrow. The freelancer has 7 days from the time you submitted a refund request to either dispute or approve your request otherwise if there's no response from them, the funds will be refunded to you.

If the freelancer disputes your request, the case will then be forwarded to our mediation team so the both of you can amicably resolve the dispute. 

You can learn more about this process here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello - this is one of the freelancers, the other is the one I'm referring to - Martin

Hi Max,

I can confirm that the funds have been released to the freelancer already. When the freelancer submits the deliverable for your review, you have 14 days to review the delivery. Once a payment request is made you will have the option to click on the Review & Pay button, which will be located in your Contract Room. This is where you can request for a revision of the work, or release a payment if the delivery meets your requirements. If you request for revisions, requesting changes will remove the review period until the freelancer submits their revised delivery. 

If no action is taken within this screen within 14 days, the platform will trigger release of the payment for the freelancer. Once the funds have been released, we no longer have access to the funds. This is what happened in your case.

What we can only do at this point is reach out to the freelancer on your behalf. You can reach out to our support team by following the steps in this article.

~ AJ
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

My opinion:

Clients save time and money when they proactively plan to never ask for money back, no matter how bad a job the freelancer does.

It is far safer to monitor a freelancer's work and fire an underperforming freelancer, rather than pay money to a freelancer and then ask for money back.

Usually it is not possible to get money back from a freelancer. It is a gamble.

It is important to understand than the quality of work is not a factor in whether or not a client owes money to a freelancer or whether or not a freelancer may keep money that he has been paid. If the client claims that work quality is terrible, that does mean he gets money back.

cff61574
Community Member

Hi, I've followed the steps to get in touch with the support team, but the option to contact support doesn't come up! Can you provide an email or have them email me please

re: "Hi, I've followed the steps to get in touch with the support team, but the option to contact support doesn't come up! Can you provide an email or have them email me please"

Upwork's Customer Support operation is not email-centric.

It is not Upwork's intention that an email address for Customer Support be posted on the Upwork website or in the Community Forum. If somebody were to post such an email address here, it would be quickly removed by Forum moderators.

A Forum moderator has already provided you with information about your situation.

Do you have any remaining questions at this time?

Hi Max,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had. I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths