cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer didn't finish job, wants to stop but requests full payment

Firdaus Z Member Since: Mar 12, 2016
1 of 15

My freelancer informed me that he can't complete the job because he gets headaches from using the computer. He sent me as much work as he claimed he could do which was less than half of the work he's supposed to do and requested for full payment.

I'm now supposed to choose to approve the work (milestone completed successfully) or request changes. What should I do in this case?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 15

Firdaus,

It's nice of you to ask. If I were in your position I would give the freelancer the benefit of the doubt and offer some partial payment but not the full amount. While it's unfortunate that the freelancer has a headache, you're only obligated to pay when all work specified for a milestone has been delivered.

3 of 15

I was planning to give him partial payment. It's just that the only two options were to request revisions or to state that the milestone was completed successfully. Should I select approve and that the milestone was completed successfully? Will the be an option to pro-rate his payment? I had put in the full payment in escrow. Will Upwork refund me the balance?

Thanks for your answers.

Community Guru
Joynul A Member Since: Jun 27, 2015
4 of 15

Hi Firdaus,

Please chat with customer support they will get best solution for this issue .

Thanks !

Joynul
Ace Contributor
Lia B Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
5 of 15

Hi Firdaus:

When you click to pay the freelancer, you will be given the option to edit the amount of money released. Good luck. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 15

I am sorry....but.....a headache? I have to smile at this one.

I've completed work (keeping in contact with my client and resetting a deadline) because I had pneumonia....I may have been a little late...but...yeah. It was done. Just a general headache seems a little lame? Take a pain pill. I have a bum shoulder due to a really bad car crash about 15 years ago- sometimes it acts up and hurts like hell....I take a pain pill and get on with it.

So...work not completed - reason headache. Ok I have to giggle. I do apologize.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 15

Edited out:

Reason:  Irrelevant - sorry OP!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
8 of 15

@Irene B wrote:

I am sorry....but.....a headache? I have to smile at this one.

I've completed work (keeping in contact with my client and resetting a deadline) because I had pneumonia....I may have been a little late...but...yeah. It was done. Just a general headache seems a little lame? Take a pain pill. I have a bum shoulder due to a really bad car crash about 15 years ago- sometimes it acts up and hurts like hell....I take a pain pill and get on with it.

So...work not completed - reason headache. Ok I have to giggle. I do apologize.

Actually, the OP has no issue with the FL's reason for not finishing, so neither should we judge. Sometimes people have medical conditions that are intermittently disabling. It being neither comfortable nor appropriate to share details with a client or the world at large, they use generalized, generic terms for whatever malady they suffer. If the FL in question is in the U.S., then it's very possible he does not have access to affordable medical care. Millions of people who, by all visible evidence, live middle class lives of reasonable security, go without medical care and treatment because it is simply not affordable. A single person with no chronic health conditions can expect to pay $1,000+ per month for basic insurance coverage and still pay out of pocket for everything until meeting an annual deductible of $3k or more. That would include paying out of pocket for any prescription pain pills.

I'm glad you are able to get on with it when your shoulder bothers you. Be thankful for your good fortune and withstand the impulse to judge other people when you can't possibly know their circumstances.

Firdaus Z Member Since: Mar 12, 2016
9 of 15

Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes it does seem like he was making up excuses. First he said he had to delay the work because he went on a holiday. That was fine with me as the dateline was still a long way to go. Then these headaches.

Charles D Member Since: Mar 7, 2018
10 of 15

did you pay the freelancer?