cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer disappeared after starting contact

Highlighted
Chris A Member Since: Jul 16, 2016
1 of 12

After several hires, I've run into my first issue.

I hired someone who seemed very eager to start working. I told them I needed the work by Friday, and they said they can do that, but it's been over a week without a response. They haven't said anything since accepting the contract. This is a fixed-price job.

What do I do at this point? How can I get my money back from this disappearing act?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Aaron F Member Since: Apr 26, 2009
2 of 12

Hi Chris

It's actually very easy to get helped out in your situation, simply reach out to Customer Support on Chat and tell them you have not receieved communication in a while.

They will normally in my experience, I've had this happen to me with some clients (most were just impatient ;D but 2 weeks in your case is too much tbh),  go ahead and restrict the Upwork contractor's financial transactions until the freelancer responds to you and things start to move along.

It's pretty easy just start a chat with CS or call them directly 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 12

^ totally unnecessary.

Just cancel the contract. A week is really too long not to answer. I'm guessing you've tried multiple times?

I would cancel. After a week. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
4 of 12

Siding with Jen. 

Plenty of f'lancers here available for your projects. Ditch the ones who ditched you. Even if they had a valid reason, it's still your time they wasted, time you'll never get back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 12

re: "What do I do at this point? How can I get my money back from this disappearing act?"

Just close the contract. You'll get all your money back.

Hire somebody else.

If you hire a contractor, you don't owe her anything.

If she does the work, you owe her what was agreed.

If she doesn't do the work, you don't owe her a thing.

If part of the job was working on the project within a certain timeframe, and she is not doing that, then you need to move forward.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 12

If I need to buy vanilla extract to bake a cake, and they don't have it at the first store I go to, then I go to another store. It's not a big deal.

When you hire a contractor, it's not a marriage. It's not "for better or for worse." It's a business arrangement, nothing more.

Highlighted
Chris A Member Since: Jul 16, 2016
7 of 12

Thanks all. I tried to cancel the contract and apparently now they have 7 days to approve or dispute it?

So this puts me in the weird position of them possibly appearing out of the fog to hand it over to me in the next week. If I repost the job, I could possibly have it filled twice, is that right?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 12

Yes, Chris, you can hire a different freelancer for a job if you repost it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 12

I wouldn't worry about it. Just wait out the 7 days. They won't win if they try to dispute.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 12

Just to clarify--did you tell the freelancer that you needed the work by LAST Friday or by this coming Friday?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS