🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer failed to provide product
Page options
1e6e8832
Community Member

Freelancer failed to provide product

Hello,

A freelacher I've worked with failed to deliver a product he climed he is capable of doing. He charged me 5 hours and he is not willing to make a refund on this time eventhough he did not provide anything in return. I've opened a dispute but You rejected my dispute without logical explanation. 

Please assiste. ASAP.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Danny J wrote:

Hello,

A freelacher I've worked with failed to deliver a product he climed he is capable of doing. He charged me 5 hours and he is not willing to make a refund on this time eventhough he did not provide anything in return. I've opened a dispute but You rejected my dispute without logical explanation. 

If it was an hourly contract you paid for the time spent working on the project, not any specific deliverable.

As long as the freelancer tracked their time with adequate activity, meaningful work memos, and screenshots which showed them working on your project, they will not be forced to refund by Upwork.

You may read more about it here

Specifically:

Q: My problem is with the quality of work, not the hours billed. What do I do?

A: Filing a dispute through Upwork’s process must be based on the hours a freelancer has billed you for. That means cannot file a dispute with us because you are not satisfied with the quality of the freelancer’s work.

1e6e8832
Community Member

So according to you - a freelancer can promises me that he will be able to complete a project - He fail to do so - And I still need to pay for his time?

I didn't think that I need to pay unprofessional freelancers for there time when they deliberately lied that they can complete the job.

Danny:

I want you to have a successful experience while using Upwork, but there is simply no around this:

When you hire somebody with an hourly contract, then you are paying for their time.

If you hire a freelancer, and they are working on your project, then you pay for whatever time that they bill.

Nobody here wants you to "pay unprofessional freelancers" when they can not complete a job.

The correct thing for you to do is to STOP paying the underperforming freelancers that you hire, and only continue working with the freelancers who bring the best value to your job.

As a client, you hold all the power here. You can end a contract literally AT ANY TIME.

You DO NOT NEED TO WAIT until a freelancer finishes working on something. If you feel like they're not up to the task, then you can simply close the contract.

The good news is there are many successful ways to hire on Upwork. You can learn more about those methods. You can ask us questions in the Forum. You can get impressive work done at very affortable rates.

One thing you could do if you are concerned about whether or not a freelancer will be able to deliver a certain request, is that you can use fixed-price contracts. Also, if you do use hourly contracts, you can check the freelancer's work frequently (especially early on while working with her), and end the contract when your expectations are not met.

Another excellent strategy is to hire multiple freelancers to do the same (or similar) task, and only continue workin with the very best among them.

re: "So according to you - a freelancer can promises me that he will be able to complete a project - He fail to do so - And I still need to pay for his time?"

Not according to Petra.

This is according to Upwork.

And it's not really a rule specific to Upwork, either. It's simply what "hourly work" means.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths