🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer gave no original work
Page options
alice_m_uk
Community Member

Freelancer gave no original work

So, I posted a job for a freelancer to create a powerpoint presentation, lasting about 20 minutes, and gave the information I thought they needed. I set a price originally, but later it became clear that there wasn't enough information for them (the presentation is on a topic I know very little about), so the compromise we made is that they would have to invent information, which isn't a problem, and build the presentation from that. Because this was obviously more work than realised, I upped the payment. Only a couple of days later, they sent me work that was completely unoriginal. The presentation is copied and you can find it immediately on Google, and they linked some websites for notes. I don't want to give this person another chance, because it's not as if they got some things wrong, they did nothing. And I absolutely don't want to pay them, because they've done basically no work. What are my options now? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Alice,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your freelancer.
I`m not sure if this is an hourly or a fixed price contract. If it is an hourly contract you can reject the hours they have logged in the previous week. If it is a fixed price contract you can ask for a refunds, if the freelancer rejects the refund a dispute will be opened for both parties. To learn more about this check out this guides: Dispute a Freelancer’s Hours and Request a refund from your freelancer. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Alice,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your freelancer.
I`m not sure if this is an hourly or a fixed price contract. If it is an hourly contract you can reject the hours they have logged in the previous week. If it is a fixed price contract you can ask for a refunds, if the freelancer rejects the refund a dispute will be opened for both parties. To learn more about this check out this guides: Dispute a Freelancer’s Hours and Request a refund from your freelancer. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
jr-translation
Community Member

You can inform the freelancer that (s)he violates the ToU:

4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site or when using the Site Services:
  • Seeking, offering, promoting, or endorsing and services, content, or activities that:
    • would violate the intellectual property rights, such as and including copyrights, of another person, entity, service, product, or website;

Then do so and report the freelancer.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths