🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer has overcharged
Page options
annika-hart
Community Member

Freelancer has overcharged

How do I get in touch with someone at Upwork? We hadn't used the platform before and set our project up as hourly billing instead of a fixed cost and the freelancer has now massively overcharged us. Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19
petra_r
Community Member

@Annika H wrote:

How do I get in touch with someone at Upwork? We hadn't used the platform before and set our project up as hourly billing instead of a fixed cost and the freelancer has now massively overcharged us. Thanks!

If you set up an hourly contract the freelancer can only have overcharged you if he or she did not work the hours they logged, which is something you can check in their work diary.

Check if all hours logged were with screenshots showing that he or she has been working on your project, that activity (the green bars) is acceptable and that there is a memo describing what they were working on.

If all the above is correct you have no grounds for a dispute.

In case one of the above is not the case (manual time, low activity, non work related screenshots and / or lack of meaningful memos) you MAY be able to dispute some of the logged time, but only for the last week (which ended last Sunday) You can only dispute last week's hours up until tomorrow night UTC, or this week's hours next Monday to Friday.

That said, your first port of call is your freelancer, not Upwork. Talk to the freelancer you hired.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Annika,

Someone from our team will follow up with you directly soon and assist you further.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi team,

I have been trying to reconcile my PayPal and I see lot of transactions from Upwork even though I had not used the services on those dates or months. I really need to reconcile my accounts. When I download all my contracts and try to tally none of them are matching to my contracts. For example I only contracted out $50 of work in Feb 2018 and I see Upwork has charged me $600 on my Paypal. Even my financial summary is not showing more than 

I need to speak to someone at Upwork ASAP. Thank you!

Hi Dinesh,

You can back track your transactions from your transaction history and set the dates so that you review previous trasactions. To make it easier, you can download as CSV and also print each date range you set so that you have a paper trail of these transactions and then match it with your PayPal transactions as well. 

image.png

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for your quick response. I did find this before and I tried to match this up with PayPal and there are huge discrepancies. Can you please let me know who to contact to reslove this?

Alternatively I can send the Paypal transactions and transactions from Upwork to Paypal - could be Paypal issues and tell them they are no authorised transactions?

Regards,

Dinesh

Please see attached. There was an error in the upwork system and for some bizzare reason I was charged twice for the exact same milestone. 

Why am I charged double ? This is unacceptable and 30 minutes later still no refund or anything.

Also, it is extremely diffcult, almost impossible on purpose to contact upwork customer support. 

Hi Dinesh and Shawn,

Thanks for sharing additional information, I've asked our team to reach out to you and check the transactions you reported, to confirm if they were affected by an issue in which case you'll receive direct assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi There, 

My bank statement shows , that i have been charged twice for my first milestone .

What can I do ? who can i contact to look into this ? 

Thank you for your help 

Reto 

Hi Reto,

I checked your contract and see you have a contract on which you already funded and released the first two Milestones and have just funded the third one. Please go to Reports > Transaction and you'll find each individual transaction related to payments you made on Upwork. I've checked and don't see any duplicate payments, let me know if you're seeing anything differently.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir, 

I have anywered via e-mail, and added some screen shots. 

Did you get my e-mail ? 

Also , another user justed posted the same issue. saying he has been charged twice. 

Thanks for clarifying, 

Best wishes  Reto 

Hi Reto,

I've checked and it doesn't appear you submitted a support request yet. Our team will follow up with you shortly and check the transaction details, please share the screenshots you mentioned on your ticket once it's created. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I hired a freelancer who has been paid correctly but I have been charged the job amount x3. Please can someone from Upwork contact me asap to resolve directly. 

Hi Marina,

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're having. Our team will reach out to you shortly to gather more information and assist you further, please keep checking your registered email address for new notifications.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello Sir

I charge a client over bill.

He has a simple logo but I work 40 hours. and the bill is 200$
How i correct it. and correct the hourse 20 or 10 hourse?

Sir, I worked with a client and accidentally worked 40 hours, even though the client's work was only 20 hours, and the client was billed 40 hours. How can I fix this?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zameer,

You can discuss the situation with the client to come to a mutual agreement and if needed  issue a refund following the steps outlined here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

re: "Sir, I worked with a client and accidentally worked 40 hours, even though the client's work was only 20 hours, and the client was billed 40 hours. How can I fix this?"

Navigate to the contract listing.

Click on the "Three Dots" icon.

Select the option to "refund"

Send the client a refund equivalent to 20 hours of work

bobafett999
Community Member

Annika another safety precaution you can take is not allow manual time entry and set the weekly time limit on the hours that can be charged.  Also, anythime you believe that the output or progress is not what you have expected, you can pause the contract.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

As an update, I see our team reached out to all of you and confirmed that there's no issue, sharing individual reasons for seeing the multiple charges on your billing statement. Please feel free to follow up on your existing tickets and share any updates or questions, so we can keep all the information in one place. Thank you for your cooperation!

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths