cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer has provided very very poor quality work, can i stop him from receiving funds?

steven d Member Since: Aug 31, 2017
1 of 15

Hi All

I started a job and selected a freelancer, he asked me to allow manual time as he had to sketch certain things etc to which i agreed. He has sent me his design work and I am flabbergasted as to how bad it is. 

Compared to his work in his portfolio it is dreadful!!!

Anyway he has put down for 8 hours work at $32 an hour. 1 hour has already been paid. 

Is there any way that I can stop the rest of the work being paid for as I really dont think it took him anywhere near 8 hours to do and it is terrible.

What are my options from here?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 15

steven d wrote: ..... he asked me to allow manual time as he had to sketch certain things etc to which i agreed.

What are my options from here?

Dispute. Hourly contract - manual time - you win the dispute by default.

Pause the contract immediately so no more hours can be logged.

Sharose T Member Since: Aug 31, 2017
3 of 15

You can pause the contract,
and you can also dispute the contract.

check you contract page you can find these there.

Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
4 of 15

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
If the work is already done, close the contract and move on to another freelancer.

But I disagree with Petra. If you agreed to manual time, there's no way to know if the freelancer logged the correct amount. He/she could've used the hours billed and it's unfair to assume - right from the start - that he/she didn't.

Nonetheless you agreed to it and should pay him the due amount. Even if the work is not to the standard you're expecting.

Perhaps it could be avoided by setting a few milestones, and checking more frequently the quality of the work delivered.

Hope it helps.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 15

re: "Freelancer has provided very very poor quality work, can i stop him from receiving funds?"

You're a businessman.

You need to be the one to decide:

Is this really worth your time?

You already have the ability to stop the contract at any time.

You already have the opportunity to leave accurate feedback which reflects your experience.

If you try to ensure ultimate fairness or preserve the freelancer's karma or whatever it is you're trying to do by trying to prevent him from receiving funds... you're only elevating the freelancer's importance beyond what he deserves.

This freelancer's work was so bad, he doesn't even deserve your continued attention or thought.

So one option is to simply close the contract and forget about him and his work.

If the amount of money involved is a factor, then you could dispute it. You would probably win.

But it would take time.

If you wanted to save time, you might just coordinate with the freelancer:

"Pietro:

I won't be able to use the work you sent. It doesn't reflect the quality of work I saw in your portfolio. Upwork will allow me to dispute and not pay all of the hours you logged manually. But I would prefer to not need to do that. If you will delete 4 of the 8 hours you logged manually, then I will not dispute those 4 hours and we can call it even."

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 15

@João P wrote:

But I disagree with Petra. If you agreed to manual time, there's no way to know if the freelancer logged the correct amount. He/she could've used the hours billed and it's unfair to assume - right from the start - that he/she didn't.

Nonetheless you agreed to it and should pay him the due amount. Even if the work is not to the standard you're expecting.

It wasn't to the standard of the freelancer's portfolio pieces, which may have been stolen for all we know. Bottom line is, if a freelancer chooses not to use time tracker, then the client has the discretion to dispute any or all of the hours recorded manually, and in my opinion, he should in this case.

7 of 15

re: "If you agreed to manual time, there's no way to know if the freelancer logged the correct amount."

I agree completely with this statement.

There's no way to know.

But there ARE questions of fairness on both sides.

Did the freelancer's portfolio fairly and accurately reflect his abilities?

Did the client give the freelancer a fair opportunity to do this work?

Did the freelancer accurately record the amont of time he worked off-line, without the time-tracker.

BUT: If we put aside all questions of fairness and ethics...

The fact remains that Upwork does not offer protection for manually-logged time and, as a matter of standard practice, will remove manually-logged time and NOT bill the client for that time if the client disputes the time.

So the question of what the client CAN do is separate from what the client SHOULD do.

Ace Contributor
8 of 15

Hi John,

I'm just trying not to assume anything. I don't know the quality of the work the freelancer presented to the client. Or the clients' expectations when confronted with that. I don't know the history of the freelancer, or the origins of his/her work.

Also, we don't know if the freelancer did indeed work all the hours stated.
No one likes to feel cheated, and although everything points in favour of the client, I feel most of the freelancers never get the chance to truly defend themselves on this platform.

I think the if communication isn't an issue, the client should reach out to the freelancer, explain the disappointment on the result so far and:

1) Close the contract and find another option while reaching a common ground about the rate vs the quality presented (probably reducing the hours) - As a freelancer I would prefer this option.
2) Or give another chance to the freelancer, to amend the work to the agreed quality standards.

On all scenarios, I'm not doubting the intentions of either one (client and freelancer) and not jumping into any conclusions.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 15

@João P wrote:

Any dispute for manual time will automatically result in the dispute being awarded to the client. Manual time is not protected.

That is the system. You can like it or dislike it, it is a fact. You don't get to "disagree" with facts.

Ace Contributor
10 of 15

Hi Petra,

I'm not disagreeing with fact but with your advice to the client.

What you're saying is dispute, you(the client) will win either way: the freelancer has no chance to explain the situation, methodology and work presented.

So, in doubt, just go for the trough, no need to ask questions, to engage with the freelance at all.
That sounds like a great community to me!!!! Smiley Sad

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS