cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Freelancer hasn't provided the agreed work

Baptiste P Member Since: Aug 4, 2017
1 of 12

Hi All,

For the record I left Fiverr because of several bad experiences and came to upwork hoping to avoid this.

I hired a freelancer for a powerpoint presentation. He is very talented and it was very promising. He said he finished today and told me to release the third and last payment of $160 for him to send me the presentation. This is my first  time on upwork, I didn't really think. I released the payment and gave him a 4.6/5 for a very good work (he had sent me a pdf to show me what it would look like).

He didnt send me the powerpoint and insisted that I change my rating to 5/5. He kept going on for more than 2h30 !!!

He eventually sent a pdf and an empty powerpoint. When I ask why he said the pictures and the fonts were not part of the agreement (!!!). Why would I pay for an empty powerpoint without any content !?
And at NO TIME he told me this before.

One other thing that was strange is that when I hired him, he refused at the beginning to start unless I was hiring his friend. Now I understand it was to boost his friends rating.

This is a disgusting behaviour. 

The problem is that there is nowhere to make a complaint. He shouldnt get the $160 before he gives me the final work.

Please help.  Smiley Frustrated

Thank you

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 12

Take screenshots of the conversation and report him for feedback blackmail. It is a very serious violation, and very unprofessional. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 12

I released the payment and gave him a 4.6/5 for a very good work (he had sent me a pdf to show me what it would look like).

Unfortunate experience. Now, it looks like in addition to releasing the payment before seeing the work you ordered in the contract (PowerPoint presentation), you also closed the contract. The problem is that closing the contract indicates you have finalized everything with the contractor. That is why you are prompted to give feedback. Next time, do not close the contract until you have tied all the loose ends. 

4 of 12
How can I report him?
I cannot find anywhere to do it

Thank you
5 of 12
I need to act ASAP as I know the payment takes a few days before reaching the freelancer.
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 12

Flagged your post so a moderator can chime in.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
7 of 12

Baptiste,

I'm sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience hiring a freelancer on Upwork. An agent will reach out to you directly shortly and assist with your concern. We'll also have the freelancer reviewed for any ToS violation.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 12

Personally, I think Upwork should throw the book at the freelancer, starting with expulsion, if he doesn't provide the work or a refund.

9 of 12

Hopefully this freelancer will be permanently banned from Upwork. No excuse whatsoever for that kind of behavior.

Did the client make mistakes? Obviously. But they were innocent mistakes because he didn't know that people like that are here posing as freelancers. Unfortunately, now he knows there are some scoundrels and thieves here alongside the overwhelming majority of freelancers who are honest professionals.

In the future, for fixed-price contracts:

- You receive the work.

- You review the work.

- Then you release payment.

- No payments in advance.

For hourly contracts:

- Review the work regularly early on, until you know you can trust the freelancer.

- Set a strict limit on the number of hours he can work. Only a small number of hours until you have carefully reviewed his work and know you can trust him.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 12

re: "I released the payment and gave him a 4.6/5 for a very good work (he had sent me a pdf to show me what it would look like). He didnt send me the powerpoint and insisted that I change my rating to 5/5."

By the way, the freelancer in question has a completely irrational view of the scoring system.

4.6 is a good score!

That's a nearly perfect. Nobody should complain about such a store or react badly to it.

Moreover, a freelancer can have 100% Job Success Score even if they have received plenty of scores at 4.6 or thereabouts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS