🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer is threatening me to put my disser...
Page options
sobi_03
Community Member

Freelancer is threatening me to put my dissertation on the internet

I hired a freelancer to write an article from my dissertation. Due date passed and he asked for extention, then another extension. Finally, when he submitted the project there were so many mistakes, incorrect citations and most importantly I picked plagiarised content within the article. He didn't even provide me bibliography and said he'd do it. I confronted him for plagiarism and he said he had no idea where it came from as the turnitin didn't pick it. I sent him links to prove that he plagiarised. He said he'd submit the work again and I can assign the bibliography and othet grammatical correvito someone else. I said okay but everything to someone else. He said okay but I should pay him  and he'd only let go of $50 from the total. Now he was after me to either pay him the amount ($350) or else he'd put my original dissertation along with this article on the internet or submit it somewhere else. I have to submit the article to the journal and he's threatening me to put my  work on internet.

The last time I talked to him, he said he doesn't need my money and he would just submit the work somewhere else. I contacted upwork and they said they're internal investigation. I'm not sure how to proceed with this issue. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hi Rahma,

Thank you for your message. I see that you are already communicating with our relevant teams on the same issue. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PradeepH

Hi Rahma,

Thank you for your message. I see that you are already communicating with our relevant teams on the same issue. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Something is missing here. You wanted the person to write an excerpt of your dissertation? You don't need to pay someone $350 for that task, you know your dissertation inside and out, you know the sources, the quotes, that is all already there. 

If you tasked somebody to write parts of it - which would make sense since you don't know the sources he used - that kind of work is strictly forbidden on upwork, and it seems the freelancer knows this. Of course he should have never accepted it.

Hi,

I taked him to write an academic article from the thesis that I did. I don't see what is wrong here. 

He on the other hand used content from different articles (just to show me that he used recent articles apart from the articles already mentioned in the literature). However, he copied the Content and put incorrect citations. I hope it makes sense now

I don't see anything wrong with what you did. I think there may have been some misunderstanding about the project. Thank you for clarifying.

The thing you should understand is this: Upwork Customer Support personnel know about Upwork. But they don't know about your thesis or your specific needs. There are a lot of things that make sense to you which they don't know anything about.

Uosork offers a service that lets clients find, hire and pay freelancers. When you want something outside of that, you may be disappointed by the speed and efficiency with which your request is handles. Upwork does not offer a service which prevents a person's thesis from being posted online.

Is this disagreement with a freelancer something that you can resolve by talking to him directly? That is what Upwork would prefer.

Did you also get outside help in your dissertation?

My son publishes many papers and he is proud to be sole author or one of the co-authors.

Well it's completely unusable to you if different sources were used. Don't worry about this. If somebody else puts your dissertation on the internet, you can easily prove that it was your own original work, since it was - I have to assume - already accepted by your university. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths