Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer keeps delaying the project

03ce59e9
Margarita M Member Since: Nov 9, 2017
1 of 11

Hi Everyone

The freelancer I work with was working fast and weel at first and managed to get me to pay him 3/4 of the whole project budget.

And now he is dragging his feet. There is a whole front of the website still to be designed and linked to the admin section he developed. He once dissapeared for a week, then came back and did a little more work.

Now he has dissapeared again, and I dont know if he is going to finish now or not...

What can I do now? Mus I kiss all the money I paid goodbye or is there any sort of protection here from this sort of thing?

cj_laguardia
Clemarjon L Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Contact him immediately. Remind him/her of your terms. This should be discussed during the interview process. There should be a deadline in any form of projects. If he/she's irrespposible, just decide on what it should be. Be firm.

View solution in original post

03ce59e9
3 of 11

Hi Clemarjon

Thank you for the reply.

I did speak to him about this, when it happened 3 weeks ago for the first time.When he emerged,  I expressed my dissatisfaction and asked him not to dissapear like this anymore and he promised to finish the website design by the end of the last week, and tie it together with the admin side by the end of this week. I have links to the both sections, where I can view how much has been done and he had barely did anything since when we spoke last.

I have been trying to get hold of him again through Upwork and Skype for 3 days now, but to no avail so far. I know he is not replying, because he knows he did not deliver. I hate this situation. I have no idea if he is going to reappear again or if he decided, that $300 that are left in this project do not worth the effort, given how easy he got $900 from me.

I am new to upwork and probably made the mistake of releasing too much of the funds too soon. I already paid $900 and only $300 is left of the proposed budget of the project. And I think now i shouldn't have paid more than 50% of it. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Margarita,

I'll escalate your concern to the team and they'll reach out to the freelancer on your behalf. We'll keep you updated as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork
revival-pixel
Ankit P Member Since: May 7, 2015
5 of 11

Hi Valeria,

We are also facing the same situation. Our hired team is keeping delay our project. Every time they are promising us and not completing the task. We really fed-up with them. We do not like to go to arbitration and hold of the project. I need to push them to finish my work ASAP. My project completion deadline was on 4th September and still, it's not finished. My whole the marketing plan is a ruin now and we are almost near to lose our end client. We are really in a mid-sea. Neither we are sink nor we reach to shore.

Please advice us!!!

Regards,
Ankit

shehryarnaqvipnk
Shehryar N Member Since: Feb 7, 2016
6 of 11

I am facing the same issue how can i get help through upwork because I couldnt find anything like complain or report of freelancer, can you please help me too? Thanks

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 11

Of course Shehryar,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
03ce59e9
8 of 11
Hi there,

The only tool I could use was to go through Upwork website complaint system: you lodge the complaint on the website mentioning your developer (it is somewhere within the field Contact Us – you just go through that process and write to them. Someone from Upwork usually does respond that they will contact the developer at question). Upwork then contacts him for response and he has to respond. By lodging this complaint you will result for your developer to lose some of his rating.  If he still does not respond, he will lose more points. Then he has to respond (but no one can force him, I guess, if he doesn’t care about his status within Upwork). Hope this will help you.

In my case: I had to threaten my developer that I will report him for fraud and was lucky that he did care about his status within the network and did pay 80% of my money back. But I lost 20% and ended up with the unfinished work and had to get someone to start over with new website, this time hiring the legit company in my town that had actual office where I could visit should I had to.

What I learned: I will never use Upwork again as there are too many unreliable people there posing as professionals, but not delivering. And the tools offered by platform are not working very well to make sure you got what you paid for or in order to keep someone accountable in case he managed to get money out of you before delivering. In short - too much room for scam.

03ce59e9
9 of 11

Dear Valeria,

I am having the same problem with my freelancer. Can Upwork team please get hold of him on my behalf?

I can not get hold of him and find out if he is going to finish my project or not. My problem though, I releised the 3/4 of the whole funds before he completed the project.

Is there a way to get the developer to finish the project? If he will not respond and it appears that he just ran away with my money without finishing the job, is it possible to ban him from Upwork?

If he did that to me, he can do this to other customers.

Kinr Regards,

Margarita

zamakli
Zamak A Member Since: May 26, 2018
10 of 11

I am interested in hearing if that is written in anything like their payment policies or their terms of service. Still not right though. A quick Google search shows they suspended people with money in their account, so at least they haven't done that!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS