cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer log in but do not do work

Richard W Member Since: Jan 21, 2015
1 of 14

Hi, what can be done for an hourly freelancer who logs into do his work but leaves the screen for a long period of time with no activity?  He's just charging me for hourly wages but not doing the work I am paying him for!!!! What the hell??  

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 14

Hello Richard,

The first thing would be to set his hours to zero until you and the freelancer can communicate, and he can offer an explanation.  It may be something as simple as he forgot to stop it when he walked away or something.  I mean I have done that before, but I do delete those segments when I do.  Anyway,  also you will need to dispute that time at the end of the week if he does not delete those screenshots.  With just a little communication though you may be able to have him to just delete the blocks with no activity relating to your project. Good Luck.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 14

Katrina B wrote: you may be able to have him to just delete the blocks with no activity

blocks without activity are not counted, billed, or charged, nor can they be deleted.

Grace K Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
4 of 14

Hi,

I have a quesion. My freelancer made mistakes and dont admit it.

I want to fire him but he kept login hours.

I told him to correct the errors 1st but he prepared not listen to me keep going.

What can stop him

GK

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 14

I agree with Katrina.

There could be very good explanations for this.

I would FIRST take a look at the work the contractor is actually delivering to you.

If you look at the work and say to yourself:

"Oh my gosh, this is fabulous! It's exactly what I want. How is he doing this so quickly, and for so little money?"

Then my advice to you is to avoid looking at his screen captures and avoid trying to interpret them. Why try to fix what's not broken? You have a great find in a contractor who is doing great work for little cost.

But if you look at the work he is doing and think:

"That's it? That's all I get after 3 hours of work?"

Then ONCE AGAIN, don't try to interpret his screen captures any further, because you probably have already interpreted them correctly.

Just tell him you're going in another direction, close the contract, and hire somebody else.

You COULD communicate with him further, ask him about the screen captures, ask him to remove incorrectly logged time, etc., etc.

But that sounds like a lot of effort to me. And in the end, you'd still be stuck with the same contractor who (for whatever reason) is delivering underwhelming work. There are like 9 million contractors on oDesk. Most of them know how to use the time tracker properly, and many of them will do better work at lest cost than this particular contractor.

Ace Contributor
Caroline A Member Since: Dec 26, 2014
6 of 14

If a freelancer sent me a very beautiful work with very little time and cost , then I would check their screenshot. If there is no activity or just a blank paper, then suddenly Voila , a beautiful painting appears, then i will suspect them for stealing the work from other artist.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 14

re: "If a freelancer sent me a very beautiful work..."

Um... Okay, that's a fair point, Caroline. I can see from your portfolio that you are a talented artist and illustrator, and I can imagine that other people copying your work and claiming it as their own would be a legitimate concern.

(The type of work that I do involves distinctive data sets provided by clients and it is impossible to steal from somebody else, so I never really thought of things from your perspective.)

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
8 of 14

Caroline, some time what happens is freelancers forget to turn the time tracker on. And in the mid way or at the end they realize that its off.

Also sometime we have multiple computer with different software. So we might need to work on another machine where the oDesk time tracker might not be available.

To avoid such cases I guess you should look into the past experience and quality of the freelancers. Not everyone can gateway with copying stuff every time.

Brian H Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
9 of 14

also i might point out some artist do hash traditional methods in with their computer work and i have personally run the tracker without being on the computer as i am illustrating then if available update the clients with hand work or explanation as to the time with out screen shots, also i personally have about three computer i work on as far as my art is concerned and different ones haf diffrent setups for diffrent programs and art styles i have one i run primarily for layouts containg several gig of propsal fonts i have one for illustration in illustrator and one for photoshop and painting work not all which are connected online . i stress commincation is key to any good working relationship and is a easy solution to issues like these

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 14

@Richard W wrote:

Hi, what can be done for an hourly freelancer who logs into do his work but leaves the screen for a long period of time with no activity?  He's just charging me for hourly wages but not doing the work I am paying him for!!!! What the hell??  

What do you mean "he leaves the screen for long periods of time without activity?"

How long are those "long period of time??"

You are only charged for time segments (of 10 minutes) in which there is actual activity.

If you see a work diary with "empty" gaps of 30 minutes or whatever you are not charged for those gaps, only for the bits with actual activity. In other words you may see gaps,but all you are charged for are the 10 minutesegments that have activity.

If the activity is low (under 5 out of 10 "green things" per charged 10 minute segment) and there are several of those per hour you can dispute last week's hours (last week's only)

Having said all that,the proper way to dealwithit is to discuss it with the freelancer BEFORE you are charged, in which case the freelancer is ableto either explain, or delete any inappropriate screenshot.

Communication is key!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS