Did you mean: 

Re: Freelancer logged way too many hours

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
21 of 25

@Vanessa B wrote:

Hello 

I was just wondering if Upwork managed to refund you these hours?

Oh he will get his money back by refusing to accept the hours.

Cid L Member Since: Feb 27, 2017
22 of 25

My current situation: The freelancer did not go over the allowed hours but the amount of work completed for the hours reported.  is not possible.  I haven't closed the project yet.  Can I dispute the hours in this situation?

Really appreciate any suggestions

Robert C Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
23 of 25

I'm guessing they spent a lot of time, but got little done. That is going to be hard to prove, especially since they are under allowed hours. In this situation I would limit their time and the size of project and keep everything very tight. I didn't have a limit on the hours in place which was my mistake. But I was able to argue that they spent way much more time than reasonable for the work described, and they never came back to me to get clarification or help to get past a problem. That last part is what essentially got me a decision in my favor. The developer never came back to report he was having trouble. Instead they spent hours trying to figure it out on their own, learning how to do it when they should have asked.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
24 of 25

Cid L wrote:

My current situation: The freelancer did not go over the allowed hours but the amount of work completed for the hours reported.  is not possible.  I haven't closed the project yet.  Can I dispute the hours in this situation?

Really appreciate any suggestions

If it's tracked hours and the FL was on teh ball with their activity memos, then you probably can't successfully dispute. But you could talk to the FL and possibly get them to withdraw some hours (I think). If it's manual hours, then you can dispute are are more or less guaranteed to win. OTOH, you might be inclined to discuss with the FL and reach a compromise instead of leaving them with nothing. As someone else pointed out, on hourly contracts you are paying for their time, not for the deliverable. That is why savvy FLs will insist on hourly contracts when they can't be sure how long something will take.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
25 of 25

One of the main ways to defend against poor-quality freelancers or time-wasting freelancers is comparison.

Compare the freelancer's work, value and performance to other freelancers on your team who are doing similar work. Continue working only with those freelancers who provide you the best value.

But if you only have one freelancer working on the project, it is impossible to do that.

If you have four freelancers working on the project, doing similar work, it is much easier to spot the dead weight.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS