🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer misrepresented himself and was...
Page options
d649b427
Community Member

Freelancer misrepresented himself and was rude

Freelancer was rude and used coarse language - when I asked him not to be rude, he suddenly refuses to work with me.  I checked analytics, his profile says he is from Canada, but no one from Canada has been on my site.  Pretty sure this guy is dodgy, but now I am concerned that he has had access to my site.

Most devs said my request could be fixed in 12-30 hours, this guy says he could do it in 3 but had a much higher hourly rate.  Once he looked at the problem and I provide access to my site and cpanel, he says easy fix but he doesn't want to work with me because I called him rude.  This has not been a great experience for me and I feel like I have been phished.

Let me know if you want his details and I'll happily provide.  Or if you are from Upwork, I am sure you can see the exchange in my account.

10 REPLIES 10
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brenden,

I'm sorry about the communication issue you had with the freelancer you mentioned. I checked your Messages but couldn't identify the freelancer in question. Please pm me the freelancer's profile link and a screenshot of your communication so I could review and escalate the communication and user's profile for further review if a violation of Upwork ToS is identified. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks mate.  I tried to message you but it says I do not have suffficient privileges to message you?

Here's the screenshot.

rverang
Community Member

@Brenden R wrote:

Thanks mate.  I tried to message you but it says I do not have suffficient privileges to message you?

Here's the screenshot.

That's one rude freelancer indeed.

Profile says he is in Canada, but google analytics showed that he was actually from India.  

Hello Brenden,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience using our platform. I just checked your account and I could see that you don't have a contract with this freelancer. Please refrain form having any connections with this freelancer to avoid further conflicts. Thank you.

Untitled
mthornton-cpc
Community Member

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a freelancer. Rest assured there are plenty of talented professionals here who would never dream of using coarse language or make a client uncomfortable. That said, I advise you to change passwords immediately if you haven't already. When your gut says something is amiss and the tech backs it up it's time to protect your site. 

I am not going to defend the freelancer.  Whatever, he did or didn't do would be pure speculation.  However, I am just curious, you mentioned that you had a dev and they gave you an estimate.  Why not stick with the same person?  You know in the long run it pays to work with the person who would know ins and outs of your site.  This new guy may fix something, but might break something else.  In real life people stick with the same mechanic, same handyman, same barber.......

It is also possible that after seeing the actual work the freelancer decided that it will not be 3 hours, but closer to 12-30 hours.  It is like me calling a car repair shop and saying hey I have this light that stays on all the time.  When they check it it is engine light.

Thanks Prashant - totally agree.  The first dev eventually came back and said the task was more complex than they anticipated and apologised for taking so long for no result.  They refunded the escrow and were very polite.  At that point I thought I would go back and ask the guy who said he could do it in 3 hours if he was serious and able to commit to a 3 hour project and after he got all my details and files, he became rude and no longer wanted to work with me.  I feel like he is just fishing for good ideas that he can re-purpose as his own.

In the end, I went back to the first dev and asked if they would be interested in revisiting the project with a revised budget and they were more than happy to take another look at it.  I like this dev, and given they were honest and polite with me, I feel I will go back to them for more work.

My only concern with doing that, is that there has been more than once when I have gone back to a freelancer who I had worked with before and found that they were basically a different person - different language patterns, different ideas.  One of them actually admitted that he was looking after a friends account for a while.  So we never really know who we are dealing with.

rverang
Community Member

@Brenden R wrote:

One of them actually admitted that he was looking after a friends account for a while.  So we never really know who we are dealing with.

That is a violation of Upwork TOS in itself and worth reporting.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brenden, 

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time hiring for your project. We can have a member of our team reach out to you to help you source the right talent for this job. 

Also, as Renante have pointed out, sharing an account with another freelancer is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. I tried looking for the freelancer in question but couldn't find him/her in your account. If you haven't reported this freelancer yet, you can send more information about him/her to me via a private message so that I can forward it to the team for their review. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths