🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer not releasing source code
Page options
eb9b9444
Community Member

Freelancer not releasing source code

I started a contract a year ago, and spent tens of thousands on the work that was done.  A few months ago the servers stopped working and communication had stopped from the freelancer.

I tried multiple times to try and get in contact to solve the problem, or receive the source code that had been worked on, but there was no response.  

What is the best course of action in retrieving the source code that was developed and paid for?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What is the best course of action in retrieving the source code that was developed and paid for?"

Maintain an off-site repository or archive that you have exclusive control of, and which nobody on the development team is able to delete files from.

If anything goes wrong with your server, restore the system using the source code from that repository.

Also: Make sure that your source code and database data are automatically backed up, including to a location that nobody on the development team has direct access to.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the freelancer. One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths