🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer not responding (Need help ASAP...
Page options
shehryarnaqvipnk
Community Member

Freelancer not responding (Need help ASAP)

I am facing a serious issue I have hired a freelancer long time ago and he worked good in start and from last 2 months he is streching my project he is not responding properly, sometimes he answered me in 2 days or sometimes he doesn't or even he answered he just tell I'll send you tomorow or saturday or monday and he didnt meet the deadline, I have already spent 2200$, 2800$ still left i have cleared all the previous milestones before the completion of work in good faith. I dont know what to do now? i dont want to go in dispute because it will be a big loss for me, I want upwork to intervene in this matter and help me through this because I am too fedup messaging him and waiting sometimes he had a accident sometimes he is out of station in the middle of the important project sometimes he didnt have electricity due to rain, I request upwork to help me in this matter asap@ Thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16
prestonhunter
Community Member

Shehryar:

Why do you want to continue working with a freelancer whose communication style and availability does not fit the needs of your project?

Stop working with this freelancer. Continue working only with the members of your team who bring the best value to your project, and who work in a way that helps you achieve your goals.

There are literally millions of freelancers on Upwork.

If you are only working with one underperforming freelancer, then stop doing that. Hire new people.

Preston my friend my project is in middle I have paid 2200$ already how can i go back from there? if there's anyway upwork can get me my money I'll hire someone else because I have nothing so far from freelancer except the work he did which is useless for me because it mobile application job and if application is not working it is uselsss for me or i dont have the code of the work he completed already.

re: "my project is in middle I have paid 2200$ already how can i go back from there? if there's anyway upwork can get me my money I'll hire someone else because I have nothing so far from freelancer except the work he did which is useless for me because it mobile application job and if application is not working it is uselsss for me or i dont have the code of the work he completed already."

Successfully-developed mobile apps, as with other complex projects, are created in a modular fashion. They do not rely on the work of a single individual.

Project managers receive the work on a regular basis. At least on a weekly basis. Even better if it is more frequently, such as daily. The work is reviewed and checked into the a code repository and archived in a place that only the project owner can access.

re: "he had a accident sometimes he is out of station in the middle of the important project sometimes he didnt have electricity due to rain"

Two points:

One: You have no way of knowing if he ACTUALLY did not have electricity due to rain.

Two: It doesn't matter.

If you need somebody who provides a certain level of availability, then that is who you should hire. Whether a freelancer has intermittent power outages due to rain or sometimes, blows off freelance work because he has a side-job as his country's top neurosurgeon, it doesn't really matter.

This is freelancing. You are not required to continue working with anybody that you don't want to work with.

=====

Shehryar:

Whether or not you continue working with this particular freelancer, you should endeavor to obtain all of the source code that he has created thus far.

And in the future, you should not hire developers for mobile app or any other type of programming/development work who do not provide you with the source code.

I am not available to hire, but what I do is this:

As soon as a client hires me for a contract, I provide the client with the root-level credentials to the server where I do all of the work. The client thus has ALL work I do (for hourly contracts AND for fixed-price work) in real time.

I recommend you work only with freelancers who do something similar.

And if this is a serious project, you really need to hire an independent project manager, because you do not have the necessary experience to serve as this project's PM.

So you are saying if freelancer does that it is his right because he is a freelancer and he can do whatever he wants and upwork dont even warn him or upwork cant filter bad freelancers on clients complains or are you trying to say that I forget my money and hire another one and the another one does the same then what is freelancing? what is upwork doing? 

That is not what I am saying.

The information I provided to you has nothing to do with this freelancer, and it has nothing to do with Upwork.

These principles are the same whether you use Upwork or another platform or no platform at all.

What is Upwork doing?

Upwork provides a platform through which clients may find, hire, and pay freelancers.

But Upwork does not provide project management services for mobile app development.

I'm sorry if you thought that Upwork provides such a service.

I don't doubt that Upwork can do a better job in communicating what it does and does not do. But this is definitely not a service that Upwork provides, nor does it claim to.

I do not blame you at all if you are frustrated by this experience.

I don't think the freelancer you hired is the person who you really need at this time. Maybe he can be a part of your team. But you need something more than what he can provide if you want this project to be completed in a timely manner.

I still hope you can obtain the source code and move forward with this project using the work that has already been done. I do NOT think you can complete the project in a reasonable timeframe using ONLY that one freelancer's services.

=====

A key point that DOES have to do with Upwork specifically:

You said you are using a fixed-price contract for this project, but you said you have not received any source code from the freelancer.

This means you are using Upwork incorrectly.

Here is what you are supposed to do:

- Create a fixed-price milestone, which is funded from your payment

- The freelancer does the work specified for the milestone. The freelancer provides you with the files

- You receive the files and review them.

- After you have confirmed that you obtained what you need, you release payment.

I know upwork doesnt provide project management services but upwork marked someone top rated and he is behaving like that so upwork should do something about it.

Shehryar N wrote:

I know upwork doesnt provide project management services but upwork marked someone top rated and he is behaving like that so upwork should do something about it.

That clarity IS on UpWork.

"Top Rated" doesn't equal "best at their job".

IF clients have that understanding, that 'Top Rated' badge means it's most qualified person for the job, it is something UpWork should look into (how to clarify it for clients).

Shehryar N wrote:

So you are saying if freelancer does that it is his right because he is a freelancer and he can do whatever he wants and upwork dont even warn him or upwork cant filter bad freelancers on clients complains or are you trying to say that I forget my money and hire another one and the another one does the same then what is freelancing? what is upwork doing? 

Connecting people.

Connecting clients and freelancers.

As Preston (in detail) explained, some freelancers aren't as good. Some are more than.
It's on a client to find one which works best for them.

We all feel your pain.
No one can give back you money and time. That is gone (unless you go into arbitration).

re: "It's on a client to find one which works best for them."

For most mobile app development, clients should not be working with only one indvidual freelancer. Most successful mobile apps are created by multiple people.

We do not know yet if you need to start over from scratch.

My recommendation is to ask the freelancer for the source code. It can't hurt to do that.

You could tell him that you are trying to do things in a more professional way, and you want to continue working with him, but you need to centralize the code repository so that you can bring in additional help.

If he can provide you with source code, and if that source code is viable, then you can continue to work with the original freelancer as a key consultant on the project. But you can hire other people to work on aspects of the project in a modular fashion so that you can push the project toward completion.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shehryar,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this Freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly to assist you with getting in touch with the freelancer.

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks a lot Bojan, after intervention of upwork freelancer responded I hope it will work out, Thanks again

Hi Bojan,

My freelancer is still not responding and he is lying all the time and I am tired of him I want to file dispute, he is incompetant and a liar.

He left things in the middle which make the whole project useless for me and I have faced a great loss and now I want to file a dispute, please let me know whats the procedure and how can I get back my money form him.

Thanks

Hi Shehryar,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. If you have any additional questions for us here, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yet another example of how the possibility of filing a dispute is simply damaging to clients.

Successful clients plan from the outset to complete their projects by receiving and reviewing the submitted work continuously. And they architect their projects in a modular fashion.

This binary all-or-nothing approach is not how to succeed with a significant development project, no matter how talented and professional an individual freelancer may be.

Hello Shehryar,

Its really sad that some freelancers ruins the reputation of all as a whole, but please don't  stop trusting freelancers in general. There are many freelancers that works really hard, just to earn a good review so that  they can get honest clients like you in future. 

Have a good day.

Thank you

Latest Articles
Learning Paths