cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer not responsive, can I cancel?

Mark T Member Since: Oct 2, 2015
1 of 7

I hired a freelancer to do some simple development work on my website. He unnecessarily locked my site without telling me. It's been over 24 hours now, and readers & advertisers have not been able to access my site.

I sent him several messages, but he simply responded with "the work is done," without addressing any of my questions.

The site is still locked. I'm inclined to cancel the contract and hire someone else to unlock my site and do the job. Is that unreasonable?

Community Leader
Saiful I Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
2 of 7

It's unfair that - freelancer locked your site without your permission. But you can give a chance to this freelancer as first time with you, than if he/she failed to keep your order, Finally you will cancel project.

As a freelancer, this is only my suggestion. Final decision will depend on you.

~ Saiful, Upwork Freelancer
Be honest, works will looking for you.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

Mark, that sounds like a major pain!

I would suggest that the first thing you do, before ending the contract or hiring someone else, is to gain back access to your site and LOCK THE FREELANCER OUT, so that when you do start taking actions regarding the contract (such as ending it without payment) he no longer has access to your site...

If you cannot access your site you may need to contact your hosting company to get you back access, and potentially to lock out / remove and block access of the freelancer.

Chances are nothing bad would happen if you didn't but it's good practice anyway and in the very unlikely case of him getting mad you won't facilitate any impulses to replace your site with a hard core one....

Then I would inform him that you will be ending the contract because .... and see what he says. Should it start getting heated contact Support to intervene.

If there are funds in Escrow you will want to decide if you want to release any to the freelancer, or none. If none you need to request the return of the funds to your payment method while ending the contract.

The freelancer has 3 choices in that case:

1) Approve the request and the funds go back to your payment method immediately

2) Reject it and it goes to dispute

3) Ignore it and the funds go back to you after 7 days.

Good luck and let us know how this pans out!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

Great advice from Petra.

Most important thing now is to get control of your site and change passwords so that freelancer has no access.

You hired a freelancer who is either incompetent or some kind of scammer.

There is no excuse for what he did.

Until you get control of your site, though, you need him to think that you are 100% thrilled with what he did; he needs to think you'll give him high praise and that you'll work with him in the future and pay him lots of money. Whatever. It doesn't matter. Just get your site access back and then deal with him next.

Of course as soon as you get site access back and render him incapable of doing anything to your site, you'll need to immediately cancel any contracts you have with him and make sure he can't bill you any more.

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
5 of 7

@Mark T wrote:

I hired a freelancer to do some simple development work on my website. He unnecessarily locked my site without telling me. It's been over 24 hours now, and readers & advertisers have not been able to access my site.

I sent him several messages, but he simply responded with "the work is done," without addressing any of my questions.

The site is still locked. I'm inclined to cancel the contract and hire someone else to unlock my site and do the job. Is that unreasonable?

Oh dear, I hate hearing that. Sorry you are going through that, I hope you won't think that ALL freelancers are like that.

Ace Contributor
Vitalij R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
6 of 7

Hi.

Hardly to say anything about this case but reasons always exist for both sides.

May be client and freelancers don't understand each others or it is just a fraud or something wrong with payment.

In any way for make right advice it need to be investigated in detail, so more info and analyzing is a key for solve situation.

Sincerely, Vitalij - Top Rated brochure designer.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 7
I wonder if he is waiting for payment. "The work is done" could be code for "I did the job. The work is mine until you pay me."
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS