🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer paid but never provided product
Page options
475b8432
Community Member

Freelancer paid but never provided product

Hello,

The freelancer I contracted with, received auto weekly payments from me and then disappeared. I hired him to create (code) a program for me but he vansished 2.5 weeks ago. I didn't receive anything from him.

I don't know how to get a refund and  upwork doesn't have a contact email listed anywhere on their website.

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Howard,

I'm sorry to hear that. I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The freelancer I contracted with, received auto weekly payments from me and then disappeared. I hired him to create (code) a program for me but he vansished 2.5 weeks ago. I didn't receive anything from him. I don't know how to get a refund..."

My opinion: Refund thinking hurts clients.

In order to save money and time, I advise you to decide now that you will never ask for a refund, no matter what. Instead: Proactively review the work that is done by each freelancer you hire, especially early on. End the contract on any underperforming freelancer. Continue working with the freelancers who provide great value to your project.

You don't need to contact Upwork Customer Support about the freelancer you hired who then disappeared. Simply close the contract. Work with freelancers that you can rely on.

I advise you to NOT set up automated weekly payments with any freelancer. Instead, use hourly contracts WITHOUT an automated weekly payment option.

Hire multiple freelancers. Not just one. And figure out which among provide you with the most value. Continue working only with those ones. The bigger your project is, the more freelancers you should hire, and the more you should fire.

For example, with a particularly large project, you might hire 10 freelancers and plan from the outset to fire 6 or 7 of them quickly.

That is how an effective client saves money. Not by asking for refunds.

re: "...Upwork doesn't have a contact email listed anywhere on their website."

It is not Upwork's intention that you contact them via email.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths