🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer performing poorly, thinking about ...
Page options
3ed03679
Community Member

Freelancer performing poorly, thinking about ending contract, need guidance

Hello.

I'm working with a freelancer on a project consisting of (effectively) 2 milestones, the first one had a 1 month duration, the other one 15 days. The last milestone is now 20 days overdue, and the freelancer is still dragging his feet fixing bugs and outstanding issues that I've notified him about. 

I've laid out all outstanding bugs in an excel sheet that he has read access to. The process for the last 20 days have been something like:

-He promises to deliver bugfixes.

-A few days pass without any pushed code to the git repository or communication from him unless I -ask what the status is.

-He replies and says all bugs are fixed, site is complete.

-I test, find that he has fixed only half the bugs I listed earlier.

-I find new ones, note them down in our spreadsheet with bugs

-Repeat from step 1

I've complained to him about his lack of communication and that he has to deliver according to his promises, or in the least notify me if he won't be able to. This has had very little effect.

The whole process is quite draining, and I don't want to work with him any more. 

I would rather use the money in escrow for the remaining milestone and pay another freelancer to fix all the outstanding issues. 

What is upwork's policy regarding situations like this?

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Talk to the freelancer.

Give a final deadline for milestone two and tell him if he does not finish the bug fixes you will end the contract and ask for the Escrow funds back.

If the freelancer has fixed half the bugs expect to settle (after negotiation) to release half of the milestone 2 funds.

3ed03679
Community Member

With the final holidays coming up, do I have to take into account any planned leave he's most likely planned to take?

@Student K wrote:

With the final holidays coming up, do I have to take into account any planned leave he's most likely planned to take?

No you don't, unless this was agreed by both of you as part of the contract.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hello,

The best thing to do would be to communicate to the freelancer any relevant deadlines and expectations and to see if they will be able to complete the work so the matter can be resolved amicably. If the problem with the quality of the work delivered cannot be resolved directly, then we do offer payment protection to clients under the conditions outlined in this article about Fixed Price Payment Protection.

~Nina
astepanov83
Community Member

There can be two reasons why the freelancer is still fixing bugs:

1) The project is really difficult, and the schedule is tight. So, except poor communication, there is nothing to worry about, but just to wait till everything is fixed.

2) Freelancer lacks experience or knowledge. You can assess his code either by yourself, or by hiring another freelancer (should take an hour or so). If the quality of code is poor, your best option is to abandon everything and start from scratch with another freelancer. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

That's how I'd behave in your situation.

@Aleksandr wrote:**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I do not believe the origin of country has too much bearing.  Student K (real name?) might have hired some one incapable based on price and probably he got what he paid for.

If there were no Indian bulk of the things you see on internet would not exist.  A broad generalization of any kind is dangerous.

It's my opinion, don't blame me for having it. My experience with the group of freelancers I mentioned was bad. I prefer not to work with them even if the profiles are great and the rate is high.

Yes, but you forgot to mention the wonderful experiences on internet.  The bulk of the things internet were/are being developed over there.  It is also like saying that coders from communist countries are spies.  They will insert viruses, trojans and worms in your code that can spread and cause havoc.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths