🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer profile ratings
Page options
Community Member

Freelancer profile ratings

The screenshot shows the first freelancer as "Among the top 50 Zoho CRM freelancerson Upwork". What does that mean?
The screenshot shows the matching skills with a "Top percentage" next to it. What does that mean?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve:

Don't overthink this.

These browse pages with "top freelancers" are a marketing tool.

The purpose of them is so that when potential clients are looking to hire somebody to help them, they do a Google search and end up on the Upwork site and spend money there.

So... this marketing effort on Upwork's part is ultimately a GOOD thing for freelancers (who want to get hired) AND it is a good thing for clients who need somebody to help them.

But that's all that this is:

Marketing browse pages generated by Upwork source code.

There was no committee of experts who sat down and looked carefully at your work and discussed you and other candidates and did interviews with your clients and talked to your neighbors and then decided how to rank you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephen, 

I'm sorry for the delay as we had to check this with another team. The skill scores represent the ranking of that freelancer among other Upwork freelancers with that skill. The score is based in large part on the freelancer’s ability to win work and perform on jobs that include a particular skill. The smaller the percentage, the better they have scored compared to their peers and clients may find that helpful in determining their ability to perform that skill. These skill scores are used to match you with the best ranked freelancers for your job.

~ Avery
Upwork
Community Member

Thanks. It's a little confusing because I saw one in the top 1% who only
had 1 job.
Didn't seem possible that he could be that good with that little work. I
thought there was a test or something.
Steve

Steve:

Don't overthink this.

These browse pages with "top freelancers" are a marketing tool.

The purpose of them is so that when potential clients are looking to hire somebody to help them, they do a Google search and end up on the Upwork site and spend money there.

So... this marketing effort on Upwork's part is ultimately a GOOD thing for freelancers (who want to get hired) AND it is a good thing for clients who need somebody to help them.

But that's all that this is:

Marketing browse pages generated by Upwork source code.

There was no committee of experts who sat down and looked carefully at your work and discussed you and other candidates and did interviews with your clients and talked to your neighbors and then decided how to rank you.

Preston is too nice to say it's not worth much.

I am the top-ranked freelancer in the world with two H's in my last name, who faithfully watches Anciet Anliens because it's more credible than US news, and was the nationwide second-ranked impromptu speaker in intercollegiate competitive debate/public sparking in 1969, You, too, can be top ranked in some category if you're specific enough.

Thanks!

Thanks. I realize that it may be hype but I hope that it had some validity. I don't overthink it but I was using it as a filter.

Stephen B wrote:
Thanks. It's a little confusing because I saw one in the top 1% who only
had 1 job.
Didn't seem possible that he could be that good with that little work. I
thought there was a test or something.
Steve

I've seen rankings like that as well; they don't seem to be based on anything concrete, and serve no purpose other than to mislead clients.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths