cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer purposely stalled the end of a time based contract to avoid dispute period

Highlighted
Eddie R Member Since: Oct 6, 2017
11 of 47

I am certainly not a complete novice, but writing apps is not my specialty. I thought Upwork would provide some sort of safety net in this instance and I was trying to be understanding to the freelancer I hired, but clearly that is naivette on my part (that the freelancer was ACTUALLY trying or had the ability, and that Upwork would actually resolve this).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
12 of 47

I think what the freelancer did here is immoral. If the scope changed half way through the project they could have just told the client they couldn't do it because they didn't know how. But if the scope didn't change and they simply couldn't do it,  in their shoes, I would give refund with apologies for wasting the client's time like this.

Highlighted
13 of 47

Hi Baris,
They worked on miscellaneous tasks (and did a really poor job), I kept on reminding them to just push forward and test the google app store upload.
If they had told me earlier that there was some concern, I would have immediately asked them to stop, and I wouldn't be expecting a refund. The issue is they kept idling around instead of solving the issue. (They claim that they are trying to find a solution and they arn't billing me the hours, but I've seen no progress).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
14 of 47

You shouldn't have stuck with them after the first signs of trouble. You shouldn't stick with anyone who gives you a less than perfect experience. There are thousands of people here looking for work and hundreds who would do a better job. This of course isn't a solution to your current problem. I don't think you will be able to get back your money and I'm sorry about that.

Highlighted
15 of 47

Hi Baris,
I agree with you in hindsight, however I still feel I was misled. The freelancer implied that they would work on the job based on the same terms as the fixed price job that I initially offered the contract on. I guess I was too trusting and assumed that they would hold up to their side of the agreement.
I did find another contractor that is so far able to meet my needs, however I'm thousands in the hole, and I've missed our product launch because of this first contractor.
I don't think I should be held liable for the funds and I guess I will have to find other means to make them pay for my losses, including court fees and legal fees. I AM a spiteful person and I'd rather spend 10 times the money to try to recover what I spent.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Abbey B Member Since: May 14, 2016
16 of 47

@Eddie R wrote:

I AM a spiteful person and I'd rather spend 10 times the money to try to recover what I spent.

You're going to have a very expensive life. 

This freelancer has you so twisted up that you just said you'd spend $10,000 to get back $1,000. You're going to be rolling in bed, griping about this for months while a lawyer also stretches out your time to get every penny from you. This freelancer likely deserves whatever vengeance you want to give him, but you can do that and you'll still be angry about it because you've now wasted $11,000 on someone you don't know. Sure, he's living with a massive amount of debt now, but do you think he learned his lesson? No. People who lack a moral compass rarely develop one later on. But if $10,000 worth of revenge makes you happy, you do what you need to do.  

Highlighted
17 of 47

Yes, I have a very expensive life. This is not the first time I have thrown money to serve out 'karma'.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 47

@Eddie R wrote:

Yes, I have a very expensive life. This is not the first time I have thrown money to serve out 'karma'.

Sounds like maybe what's happening now is karma trying in vain to teach you what's really important.

She doesn't need your help.

Re the previous post, Upwork DOES have a safety net. It's allowing you a full work week to review screen shots and dispute hours.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 47

If the work diary was suspicious, why did you not dispute during the dispute period?

Highlighted
20 of 47

I didn't review it in detail until they started to miss targets.
I'm not a programmer, so I just saw images filled with code and assumed that's what it should look like.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS