cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer purposely stalled the end of a time based contract to avoid dispute period

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
31 of 47

oh that's true. I've had them want to switch to hourly from flat rate, and I think it's a bait and switch on their part. I give a range on hourly, so I'm not stuck if I underbid.

After you said that I thought about it for some time. Now that I think about it, I am not sure I've ever gotten contracts if I want to switch to hourly. lol I've never thought about it as being sneaky but maybe people think I'm being sneaky. I'm only sneaky when someone is trying to screw me out of money. Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Eddie R Member Since: Oct 6, 2017
32 of 47

Hi Jennifer,
That's exactly how I feel. They switched to hourly so that they could bill for work without consequences.
There are some situations I could understand the switch, but in hindsight, wanting to switch as soon as I awarded them the project should have been the red flag that they wouldn't be able to handle the project.

Highlighted
33 of 47

Hi Jennifer, this 'developer' was probably just the project manager and had good reviews. Their team as a whole is HUGE and has very mixed reviews. My project was probably assigned to one of the lower tier programmers.
Browsing deeper into the reviews, I saw some people with the exact same experience as I had.

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 47

@Eddie R wrote:

Hi Jennifer, this 'developer' was probably just the project manager and had good reviews. Their team as a whole is HUGE and has very mixed reviews. My project was probably assigned to one of the lower tier programmers.
Browsing deeper into the reviews, I saw some people with the exact same experience as I had.

ah, I see. So bait and switch? Was it an agency? From what you're saying, it sounds like an agency. They have a really bad reputation. This is one of the main reasons.

Highlighted
35 of 47

@Jennifer M wrote:

Was this a new freelancer? It seems Upwork doesn't verify profiles until someone has their first job. I'm assuming it's so they don't invest time in anyone who isn't going to bring in money, but it's opened a new scam which is to create a new profile and scam people out of 1-2 weeks of pay and bail.

If you really like a freelancer and they have no history, then the best thing is to give them a test and see how it works out first. Invest a small amount, and then you'll know if you can invest more.

I'm guessing you went cheap, because these people usually log 8-10 hours/day to get you good. It's been 2 weeks, so that's a really low rate.

Hi Jennifer, I replied elsewhere but wanted to let you know as well.
They are not a new freelancer, and they are with a really big agency. I dug through their individual reviews, and it seems this is not the first time they have pulled this bait and switch.
The first task for the job was actually a test, which they pulled off very quickly, that's when I let them run the hourly to their discretion.
I thought it's a fair price, I found several other freelancers that quoted similarly, and actually hired another freelancer to do the same job for the same price, and they finished in 2 weeks already.

Highlighted
Community Guru
36 of 47

@Eddie R wrote:

Hi Jennifer, I replied elsewhere but wanted to let you know as well.
They are not a new freelancer, and they are with a really big agency. I dug through their individual reviews, and it seems this is not the first time they have pulled this bait and switch.
The first task for the job was actually a test, which they pulled off very quickly, that's when I let them run the hourly to their discretion.
I thought it's a fair price, I found several other freelancers that quoted similarly, and actually hired another freelancer to do the same job for the same price, and they finished in 2 weeks already.

Wow that really sucks. Something is off though, because you can't do this stuff without losing your account. There is no way Upwork wouldn't suspend a freelancer if they charged up an account and used a clicker or something to keep the clock running. If this is something they do often, Upwork would permaban. They might give the account backi fit's their first time, but they would definitely suspend someone if they did this once. Permaban if it happened twice. 

Highlighted
Peter H Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
37 of 47

How can a member who joined 19 hours ago work with a freelancer 2-3 weeks ago? Also if they quoted a fixed price of USD 1000 why are they billing by the hour?

Edit: The member since date shown is not correct. I have been a member on upwork for a couple of years. Question withdrawn.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
38 of 47

Broadly speaking, I would always advise clients to use hourly contracts if they want to hire developers and they want to ensure high-quality work.

But this still requires good project management and code review.

And, yes... It requires money.

If a client is on a tight budget they might opt for a fixed-price contract. But they need to understand that a fixed-price programming project is about controlling cost, not about maximizing quality.

Highlighted
39 of 47

It depends on what you are looking for though. A COMPETENT programmer doing a simple task should be able to grasp the time it takes (and thereby give an accurate estimate).

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 47

@Peter H wrote:

How can a member who joined 19 hours ago work with a freelancer 2-3 weeks ago? Also if they quoted a fixed price of USD 1000 why are they billing by the hour?

Edit: The member since date shown is not correct. I have been a member on upwork for a couple of years. Question withdrawn.

The member date in the forums is just for the forums. Smiley Happy 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS