🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer reneging on a deal
Page options
varungs
Community Member

Freelancer reneging on a deal

I made a job listing with explicit requirements and received a proposal with a given price. I accepted the proposal, hired the freelancer and funded the milestone. The freelancer is now telling me that he went over the requirements and thinks the amount is too low, and that I should increase the funded amount.

I don't necessarily have a problem with paying more, but I do have a problem with people who make bogus proposals and waste my time. I'm sticking to my guns and I'm going to make him go through with the project whether he likes it or not, since he's the one who sent that proposal at that price (which is a reasonable one, too). 

I'd like to know, what's the general protocol for this situation? Does the client cancel the contract or does the freelancer? Do I get to leave a bad review at the end of it? Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
louisaj
Community Member

I'm a freelancer and sometimes I realize after I have started that the project takes a little more time than I thought, but I finish it for the original price and everyone is happy. Some people probably think that's crazy, but I feel it is the right thing to do and learn from my mistake for next time I bid on a similar project.

However, it sounds like the freelancer has realized this before starting the work, so if they haven't started the project at all, then either of you can cancel the contract. No pay means you cannot write a public review, but it will hurt the freelancer's JSS slightly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
louisaj
Community Member

I'm a freelancer and sometimes I realize after I have started that the project takes a little more time than I thought, but I finish it for the original price and everyone is happy. Some people probably think that's crazy, but I feel it is the right thing to do and learn from my mistake for next time I bid on a similar project.

However, it sounds like the freelancer has realized this before starting the work, so if they haven't started the project at all, then either of you can cancel the contract. No pay means you cannot write a public review, but it will hurt the freelancer's JSS slightly. 

varungs
Community Member

Thanks for the advice, Louisa. I think I'll just go ahead and cancel it. People like this really suck.

petra_r
Community Member

Varun wrote:

I'm sticking to my guns and I'm going to make him go through with the project whether he likes it or not,

Jeeeeez....

Varun G wrote:

I'd like to know, what's the general protocol for this situation? Does the client cancel the contract or does the freelancer?

What do you mean? You just said that you will "make the freelancer go through with the contract whether he likes it or not, before leaving a bad review even though you've not even seen the work?"

How can you already know that a freelancer will do bad work before you "force them" to go through with it?

Varun wrote:

Do I get to leave a bad review at the end of it? Thanks

Yes, you get to leave feedback (provided something was paid...), and so does the freelancer, which will hopefully serve to tell any future prospective freelancers just what awaits them...

Let's imagine I am a novelist. I post a job for a painter to create a book cover for my latest book. I get a proposal from a freelancer, who then complains about the project and doesn't want to do it. He can't stand the project and doesn't want to do it.

Should I force this artist to create my book cover?

Or should I leave him alone and work with someone else who loves the project and is eager to do a great job for me at the price I specified?

As a client, I put myself first. That means I never want anybody working on my projects who does not genuinely want to be doing so. I don't want anybody working for me who feels they are being mistreated or under-paid. Is that because I'm nice? Or is that because I want my projects to be successful?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths