cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer said he was from Australia but actually from Kenya

mtnrabbit
Dennis M Member Since: Jul 25, 2018
1 of 27

Why would a freelancer say he is from another country rather than his ? 

Example : I hired a freelancer and on his bio it says he is from Sydney,  Australia but actually from  Nairobi , Kenya 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 27

Hi Dennis, 

There are times when a freelancer fakes his/her location, or any information on his/her profile. In these cases, we rely on the Community to report this to us, or directly to the Customer Support Team so that it can be escalated, and actions can be taken agains the user's account. 

I checked your account and can see that you have already reported the freelancer. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

~ Avery
Upwork
mtnrabbit
Dennis M Member Since: Jul 25, 2018
3 of 27

My Question is why would a freelancer want to change thir location ? 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 27

I'm not sure, Dennis. In my personal opinion, I feel like some freelancers feel that they are at a disadvantage coming from certain cities/countries. Because of this, they resort to fraudulent practices such as faking their location, or their profile information. 

I am not sure if this is the case for everyone, as this is coming from my personal observation. Just the same, if you come across freelancers who do the same, you may report their profiles by flagging their profiles as inappropriate. 

~ Avery
Upwork
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 27

@Dennis M wrote:

My Question is why would a freelancer want to change thir location ? 

To get more credibility and to scam clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 27

Anytime that freelancers from "Country A" claim that they are actually from "Country B"...

Then they only end up diminishing the reputation from freelancers from "Country A", because clients don't like it when freelancers lie to them like that.

This kind of thing only serves to give freelancers from "Country A" a reputation as scammers and fraudsters.

Furthermore, by claiming to be from "Country B", freelancers fail to build up the reputation of where they are actually from.

For example, I can think of a certain Eastern European country from which I have hired many freelancers for highly technical, complex server configuration jobs. They never lie about where they are from. Every one of them I have worked with has been a great experience for me! My mind can't help but form an association between this country and great freelancers.

But if those freelancers, in some misguided bid to "further their chances at getting hired" (??) lied about where they were from... if they all said they were from Ohio or something.... Then may be I would think it is Ohio that has such great, technically brilliant freelancers. Or maybe I would realize where they're really from, and think of freelancers from that place as fraudulent.

tamashita
Ace Contributor
Tamara H Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
7 of 27

I do not really understand the reason for doing that, but one explanation to this is that they are showing that they are from a country where the wages and hourly rates are high, compared to low-income countries, or mid-income countries, just like Kenya, to be able to ask for a higher rate. Because in some cases clients knowing that the freelancer is from a low-income countries offer working with lower rates. This has happened to my friend from India. 

Thanks. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 27

I just had an invitation from a client who did that - and nothing was done about his account. Nor was he in the slightest bit fazed when I said he did not appear to be in Belgium. He said "no for the moment, I am in Asia". I wonder how many "moments" he has spent in Belgium. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 27

re: "I just had an invitation from a client who did that - and nothing was done about his account."

Why would anything be done to his account?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 27

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I just had an invitation from a client who did that - and nothing was done about his account."

Why would anything be done to his account?

Because the "client" is lying about his location is fishing for freelancers and has not hired on this site. 7O invites sent. But maybe you are right. This is obviously the sort of client Upwork is trying to attract.

ETA: Oh and by the way, when I asked to see the work so that I could give him an accurate delivery time and price, he told me it was OK because the task had been assigned, but asked if I would be interested in other work. Well, the job wasn't assigned on Upwork, so either he is on a lot of sites or he has circumvented and so has the freelancer he hired (off site).  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS