Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer said he was from Australia but actually from Kenya

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
21 of 27

Let's take the query down to pure semantics. 

Where you are from is where you were born.

Where you currently reside is the question in point.

In the end, it's all nonsense. If the person in question tells the truth, that should be all that matters. 

Like Nichola, I've worked with literally hundreds and hundreds of clients and have known each and every one of them via email, LI profile, Skype calls,etc.  and they have known me to the same extent.

As an FYI, not all gigs require fluency in US or UK English (possibly the most common example).

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
22 of 27

@Wendy C wrote:

That is very true.  I am from India and I hear that question a lot.  Depending up on the tone and who is asking I often reply,"None-of-your-bisiness,TX".

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
23 of 27

@Prashant P wrote:

@Wendy C wrote:

That is very true.  I am from India and I hear that question a lot.  Depending up on the tone and who is asking I often reply,"None-of-your-bisiness,TX".

I might mention that the only time I (nearly) got scammed, it was by a client that had lied about his location. Go figure. 

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
24 of 27

I was scammed 1.5 times.  They both were from US.

nyteshade713
Jennifer L C Member Since: Apr 25, 2020
25 of 27

For anyone that reverts back to this message, I have just reported a freelancer who did the exact  same thing. I was looking specifically for USA  talent. Without knowing, I hired a freelancer from Nigeria. It stated that he was from NJ on his Upwork profile.

Now that I have come to this realization, which I was able to prove by seeing the IP he was accessing our platform from, I look back at his profile, and I can see the local time in his area. It is 4 hours ahead of the time it should be. Cat Mad

So, if in the future you want to be sure of where your freelancer is from, just in case Upwork didnt do enough homework to verify the freelancers identity, look at  the local time. If the local time is not the time it should be, then you know the freelancer is not from where he should be. Cat Mad

I wish I noticed this in the first place, but at least now I know. I wont make the same mistake twice thats for sure. Cat Surprised

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
26 of 27

When you find a discrepancy in a profile, like the time, please flag it so the Upwork can take action on it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
27 of 27

Jennifer L C wrote:

So, if in the future you want to be sure of where your freelancer is from, just in case Upwork didnt do enough homework to verify the freelancers identity, look at  the local time. If the local time is not the time it should be, then you know the freelancer is not from where he should be. :

2 problems with that:

1)They can fake their time in their settings too, though Smiley Sad

2) Upwork often shows a difference of one hour between the time where someone truly is and the time shown on the profile...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS