cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer says they only work with clients that give 5 stars

Brandon R Member Since: Oct 15, 2019
1 of 39

I finished a job a couple of months ago and was happy with the results. I left a good review, and the stars were 4.85. I don't think this is bad. The freelancer left me a 5 star review. It seems they expected the same. Now they won't work with me again. Of course I can find someone else, but I feel that if Upwork allows this kind of unprofessional behaviour, it reduces the credibility of the reviews.

The review I left for the freelancer:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The review the freelancer left for me:

--- So I did not think anything went wrong or in a bad way. But then I send another job offer to her and she refused to work with me again. When she refused I told her I was confused, and that I thought everything went very well. Here are her own words:

In my opinion, this is a very unprofessional approach. We were happy with her work, and took the effort to explain and share all information needed to create the documents. Now I will have to explain to another freelancer, wasting time... and only because I left a 4.85 star review instead of 5. I responded to with the following to the freelancer:

So at the end of the day, the choice is made and I will move on. I only post this to create a dialogue about this experience and maybe some of you think I am wrong? Do I need to change my approach and just leave 5 stars even if I think it was slightly less than a 5 star experience? Give me your thoughts. Every experience is an opporunity for growth. Cheers. 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 39

Hi Brandon,

Please keep in mind that our Community is public and it is a violation of our Community Guidelines for private details to be posted publicly. 

Regarding your feedback, we always encourage freelancers and clients to leave truthful and honest feedback for each other. As you`ve already mentioned this will give a clear picture for both sides and help future freelancers and clients to determine if they would like to work together or not.

I hope that other community members will see your topic and join to discuss it further.

I would like to confirm that our team will investigate the freelancers further for violations of our TOS as well. If any violations are found proper actions will be taken. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
3 of 39

Freelancers are free to refuse to work with whomever they want and for any reason. It is not unprofessional for them to refuse to work with anybody. In fact, it is encouraged that freelancers choose their clients carefully. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 39

... but I feel that if Upwork allows this kind of unprofessional behaviour, it reduces the credibility of the reviews.

Freelancers are free to work with any client for any reason they like, just as clients are free to work with any freelancer they like.

Likewise, freelancers are free to decline to work with any client for any reason they like, just as clients are free to decline to work with any freelancer they like.

Declining a new contract is not "unprofessional behaviour!"

The freelancer didn't pester you to leave 5 star feedback, simply declined to work with you again.

Upwork gets involved when freelancers are bugging clients to leave great feedback or similar, they don't force freelancers to work with you if they don't want to, for whatever reason.

The "Free" part in "Freelancer" means something.

Do I need to change my approach and just leave 5 stars even if I think it was slightly less than a 5 star experience? Give me your thoughts. Every experience is an opporunity for growth. Cheers. 

No, of course not. Most freelancers would not mind a 4.85. Some do.  You can't please everyone.

Leave honest feedback and move on. If that means the occasional freelancer takes exception, so be it.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 39

I see nothing wrong with what the freelancer did. As far as I am concerned, a freelancer is free to make up their mind about who to work for. A freelancer could decide to not work with a client for any number of reasons.

MOST freelancers don’t think that way.

I am happy to work with clients again after they give me less than five-star ratings.

I respect these clients even more. Five stars across the board in every category means perfection in every category. Realistically speaking, nearly every perfect score clients give is inaccurate. So a client who actually takes the time to think about the scores she gives is being thoughtful and should be commended.

If some freelancers choose to fret about imperfect scores, they are wrong. But there should be no rule requiring a freelancer to work for someone again.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
6 of 39

Brandon, whenever a client is happy with the work done and leaves less than 5 stars, because of the way Upwork works it's as if the client were stabbing the freelancer in the back.

It's silly, but unless you really have a real reason to be nasty to a freelancer, please don't leave less than 5 stars. I have a few clients who do that, leave a great feedback but less than 5 stars, and I tend to think twice before accepting to work with them again because anything less than 5 starts is considered as suspicious.

I do the same to clients. Unless they really exagerate, I only leave 5 stars. I know that other freelancers will avoid working with them if they were given less than 5 stars.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 39

Luce N wrote:

Brandon, whenever a client is happy with the work done and leaves less than 5 stars, because of the way Upwork works it's as if the client were stabbing the freelancer in the back.

This is obviously not true. One can be happy with the work delivered, but end up unhappy about how the communication went with the freelancer. A feedback of 4.85 is a good feedback by the way and clients and freelancers should always leave appropriate feedback.

As a general rule, I would be very wary of anyone who doesn't want to work with me if I don't leave 5 stars. I wonder if a person who worries so much about getting 5 stars would worry about my project.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
8 of 39

Rene K wrote:

This is obviously not true. One can be happy with the work delivered, but end up unhappy about how the communication went with the freelancer. A feedback of 4.85 is a good feedback by the way and clients and freelancers should always leave appropriate feedback.

I agree that 4.85 is generally a good feedback. However, the way the feedback system works it is not suprising to me that some people would act in this way.

As freelancers often try to maintain a high JSS for obvious reasons, so they will also do what they can to ensure they dont take jobs that potentially lower that score.

For example, some might think.....

4.85 - sure, its not a bad score - 'but if i only got 4,85 public score when the client was happy, what is the private score going to be?"

As a result they may decide not to take that risk in future.

Personally i have had a client consistently leave feedback around the 4-4.5 mark and hire me several times, i even questioned if there was any specific aspect they were not 100% happy with at one stage, they didnt answer but the next review was a glowing write up but still only a 4.3ish -

Due to the nature of private feedback i wont do work for this client now as the potential for less than great private feedback is not worth the price of the job to me. (very small budget jobs)

rating systems mean different things to different people and as such they will use them how they see fit - I dont think 4.85 is bad at all and it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, but i can fully understand why some people might not want to risk it. 

I dont think the private feedback system helps this situation, more specifically the fact that we are rated on 2 different scales, one 5 star the other 10 star!

ETA - I do however think that people should be leaving feedback appropriate to the job. This goes for clientas and freelancers obviously.

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
9 of 39

This is my problem with JSS in a nutshell. It doesn't give a freelancer a fair, honest review, and because of that it's difficult for us to correct mistakes we may have made, because we don't always know what they are.

I never considered it before but of course it makes sense to not accept additional work from someone who didn't leave a 5-star review, if maintaining a high JSS is important to you.

On the other hand I would never in a million years cite that as the reason I didn't accept additional work. I'd simply say I'm too busy with another project or I don't do that sort of thing any more (for example, I'm not designing books that are epub only any more).

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
10 of 39

Kelly B wrote:

On the other hand I would never in a million years cite that as the reason I didn't accept additional work. I'd simply say I'm too busy with another project or I don't do that sort of thing any more (for example, I'm not designing books that are epub only any more).

AGREED!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS