🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancer scammer - Attention to all age...
Page options
b6493082
Community Member

Freelancer scammer - Attention to all agencies and clients looking to hire **

Jus thad a bad experience with this freelancer:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Who did not finish my project and lured me into closing the contrct telling me it was helping his upwork score.

Took my last $200 and never replied to my messages again.

here the last messages where he kept saying he was working on my project to finish it.

This person should be banned from upwork for clients safaety.

This is unccaceptable!!!

I want my partial refund for the work that was never finished as well.

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Tony D wrote:

Who did not finish my project and lured me into closing the contrct telling me it was helping his upwork score.

You were lied to. Active contracts actually help his JSS, they don't harm it at all.

You want to file a dispute, provided it is less than 30 days since you funded (!) the last milestone

b6493082
Community Member

Hi thanks for letting me know! this confirms his scam plan then. How do I file I dispute?

b6493082
Community Member

Hi thanks for letting me know! this confirms his scam plan then. How do I file I dispute?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tony,

It looks like you have an open ticket with our Dispute team about this case. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
b6493082
Community Member

dispute opened.
This is just beyond any words at this point.

-Upwork has a scammer on its payroll

-This freelancer should be banned from hgere to avoid scamming other clients

-Upwork should be ready to refund work for these type of issues.

Unacceptable.

They want you to pay a feee for escalation. From upwork:

"Upwork may only facilitate the discussion and may not make judgments regarding work quality, quantity, or usability. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, this dispute may be moved to third-party arbitration for a final ruling on both the funds held in escrow and any previously released payments. Arbitration comes at the cost of $875, which is split between Upwork, the client and the freelancer ($291 each). This fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the arbitration case."

This is NOT normal. What a bad place to do business. I know understand why the stock is down and cannot recover. This is cleary just bad managment that starts very up in the chain.

unbelivable. 

re: "Upwork has a scammer on its payroll"

Tony:
The freelancer who you have been dealing with is not an Upwork employee, and he is not on Upwork's payroll.

Upwork is the industry leader in helping clients get work done using freelancers. I can assure you that there is not "a scammer" who uses Upwork. There are thousands of Upwork users who you might classify as "scammers": including both clients and freelancers. They come here because this is where the money is, and this is where the people are.

Upwork removes people from that platform when they are reported and when Upwork investigates them and finds them to be scammers.

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. I have found it to be an incredibly useful resource. I do not use Upwork because every one of its users is perfect or honest. I know that is not the case. I use Upwork because it saves me an incalculable amount of time and money.

You now know that you used Upwork incorrectly by releasing esrow money prior to receiving and reviewing the work.

If you have additional questions about how to use Upwork effectively, please don't hesitate to ask.

re: "They want you to pay a fee for escalation"

Upwork most definitely does not want any freelancer or client to move a disagreement to the dispute or arbitration stage. These are "safety valves" that Upwork never wants to see invoked, but are there for use in very rare circumstances. Keep in mind that such things cost Upwork money. If a client and freelancer decide to move a disagreement to the arbitration stage, then they both pay $291, and Upwork pays $291 as well. Non-refundable. That money goes to a third-party arbitrator. It doesn't go to Upwork.

it doesn't matter. The point is, I got scammed and the freelancer didn't finish the job I paid for here on upwork. I had to hire soemone to finish his tasks.

Now for sure I will not release the escrow. Lesson learned.  Ishoudl not pay the conseguences for this. Upwork should intervene and refund the money the developer took from me.

This is just a bad experience here.  you are supposed to come here to find professional people. its not the case.

Also, what's funny is that 50% of all the developers I sent an invite act like the walk on air, they quote a job 1000% higher than what's worth it becuase they think clients are stupid and don't know the code... Unfortunately for them I'm a developer who contracts for a bigger company and I know the stack involved and the costs to develop the projects.

These people are not honest. This upwork experience is negative and you do get scammed if you dont know the code and you came to hire a professional. Quite concerning and sad.

This is why the stock cannot turn profit. The system here is obsolete and when you run into issues good luck! in my case is only a few hundred dollars. never mind bigger projects. 

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry about your experience with this contract. I see your request has been escalated already to the appropriate team and you will receive an update within the time-frame our agent shared on your support ticket. Please do update the ticket if the freelancer follows up with you and any contract-related changes occur.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths