🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer suddenly not online!
Page options
5b067c9f
Community Member

Freelancer suddenly not online!

I've been working with a freelancer since January and everything has been going along well. Suddenly, 2 days ago I sent a project and I haven't heard anything from my freelancer. I don't know if something has happened to him or what. This has never occurred before - the longest I went without hearing from him was about 6 hours one time. It's now been 36 hours and I am in a total panic that I have to start all over again with someone new. I have done over 70 milestones with this one freelancer since January. Smiley Sad

Has anyone ever had this happen? I don't know what else to do - I have sent several messages asking if everything is ok. Nothing. Haven't seen the orange or green indicator that he has been online either when I check, but it appears he has some other jobs in process also. 

Panicking here!!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
philomenaaah
Community Member

Hi Pamela,

Maybe something happened or he simple didn't get an email from UpWork saying that he has messages. This happens sometimes to me, as a freelance. Once I just noticed that because I went to check the website, because I found it strange that my client was not answering me for three straight days.

I would try to establish the communication again for a few days, to see if he answer or not. Maybe he had some health issue or a very specific and tough situation, I don't know...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
philomenaaah
Community Member

Hi Pamela,

Maybe something happened or he simple didn't get an email from UpWork saying that he has messages. This happens sometimes to me, as a freelance. Once I just noticed that because I went to check the website, because I found it strange that my client was not answering me for three straight days.

I would try to establish the communication again for a few days, to see if he answer or not. Maybe he had some health issue or a very specific and tough situation, I don't know...

Thank you. I saw others had delay issues with the message function, so I tried emailing him this morning.

Then he popped up on my business FB page right after I posted this here!

Turns out he was very sick and even had to be in the hospital for a few days - I am SO relieved!

I know I need a backup, I just don't like stringing someone along as I have not needed a backup for the past 10 months, they would be getting no work from me. At least with Upwork, there seem to be many others I can reach out to in a bind.I just hope it doesn't happen again!

re: "I know I need a backup, I just don't like stringing someone along as I have not needed a backup for the past 10 months"

yes.

Not having backup for vital business operations does seem precarious.

If you are just upfront when posting a job for backup personnel, you can find people who would be happy to fill this role.

Maybe hire somebody with an hourly contract and train them... and then ask them to work ten minutes every month logging into your system and verifying their access and running a test process.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths