cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer taking huge amount of time to complete work

John D Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
1 of 6

Hello all,

Need some advice on a project that has gone on far too long.

I did all the research possible on the freelancer, and he seemed a good bet.  I even knew people he had worked for before. 

The job was to develop a site, based on my design, whilst integrating  a piece of software into the design.

I gave him the design, and the software details, and he quoted me a reasonable price....I thought he had researched the project properly before accepting.

ALL THIS WAS BEFORE XMAS.

I have structured the payments, so he has been paid one, for the initial work completed.  But since xmas, it has got incredibly slow, and I need the project finished before a busy commercial period.

He keeps saying.....tomorrow....next week....etc.....and it has got beyond a joke.  I can even see he has take on several jobs since accepting mine (something Upwork clearly needs to limit somehow)

There have been a few problems with the software he is integrating, but it should not have taken this amount of time, with this amount of excuses. 

The actual quality of the work is good, so I wasn´t quick to get rid of him....but unbelievably, he asked for final payment the other day (that is in Escrow), eventhough he wasn´t complete at all!!   I told him it was out of the question, and he had the face to say that he had decided to charge for additonal work, that he has supposedly had to do!!!  Unbelievable....I said no, obviously.

I have the files, and want to give him the chance to complete everything and get paid, but this situation cannot go on much longer.....

It´s a case of giving a hand, and him taking the whole arm!!

ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Thanks.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 6

John, sorry to hear this but honestly, you probably should have pulled the plug a month or two earlier, in which case you'd at least have had the chance to hand it off to another freelancer. From what you've described, paying him more at this point might be throwing good money after bad, and even if he were to complete the work, you'd be rewarding his delay tactics. So I think you should cut your losses, and see if you can get another freelancer to complete the work, but you have to be realistic about deadlines because rushing after taking over someone else's work isn't likely to produce great results.

3 of 6

Hi John,

It's a common issue. People working from home often run into these 2 issues. 1) Assuming you can do more than you actually can. That's why you keep sending out proposals without measuring the time it will take to complete other projects. 2) Lack of discipline. While working at home, there's no big old meanie telling you what to do. Some people will have to find their own way and system to handle this.

For the advice part:

Well, there isn't much you can do about it. Definitely cut him off. Upwork has a lot webdesigners, but sometimes it pays off going for those with proven reputation and a bit more on the pricey side.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 6

John D - IMO I think you gave this freelancer WAY more then enough time to not just complete your job, but to actually work on your job. No matter how good his work is, I think it's way past time for you to move on. You state you want to give him a chance to complete the job and get paid, ... don't you think you've given him enough time?

It's not working out for either of you. Time to end the contract and look for another freelancer who is way more reliable. If at this point you give him more time, what guarantee do you have that he's going to all of a sudden start working on your job again. And what will happen when the deadline is just days away? It's best, while there's time NOW to cut your losses and move on to someone else.

Besides, to continue to keep this freelancer, with the demands he's making on you now about full payment, will just continue to get worst.

John D Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
5 of 6

Thanks for replies....

I¨m certainly not going to pay him any more....

The guy had good feedback, and is certainly not on the CHEAP side.

I´m not going to release the money from escrow until the job is done - and he´s nearly there, so don´t know why he doesn´t pull his finger out.

If upwork can see the message history and work, then he shouldn´t be entitled to the money in escrow should he?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 6

If they haven't submitted the work, and you close the contract with money in escrow, the freelancer will be asked if they approve the refund request of the escrow funds. If they don't approve, that will start the dispute process. You'll start out in mediation with an Upwork mediator who will try to resolve the problem. Most likely, based on what you've said, they'll suggest that the freelancer submit whatever they have right now and you give them a partial payment. If the two of you don't agree to whatever the mediator suggests, then you can go to arbitration. That will cost all 3 of you (you, freelancer, Upwork) $291. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS