🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer wanting to hire on different accou...
Page options
1468cf24
Community Member

Freelancer wanting to hire on different account...?

It's my first time hiring on upwork. 

And I'm currently working with a guy that made the effort to jump on a call before accepting the work, figured out what we needed, etc. Everything felt really good.

Until he asked me send the work to another profile affiliated with the same organization/company with the reasoning that "I have 11 in-progress jobs on this account." Sort of makes sense... I guess? 

I wouldn't mind it too much if he/they didn't also request a down payment/upfront payment. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was on the original account but how do I know what's going on on the other end of this other profile? 

Any thoughts/opinions? 

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Hao T wrote:

It's my first time hiring on upwork. 

And I'm currently working with a guy that made the effort to jump on a call before accepting the work, figured out what we needed, etc. Everything felt really good.

Until he asked me send the work to another profile affiliated with the same organization/company with the reasoning that "I have 11 in-progress jobs on this account." Sort of makes sense... I guess? 

I wouldn't mind it too much if he/they didn't also request a down payment/upfront payment. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was on the original account but how do I know what's going on on the other end of this other profile? 

Any thoughts/opinions? 

The freelancer is categorically not allowed to have more than one account so that's a violation right out of the gate.

I'd also never pay anything up front, this is not necessary with the Escrow system and if the freelancer withdraws the money and runs there is nothing anyone can do.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Hao,

Our team will reach out to you directly so that you can provide us with more details about and we will investigate this further. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hao: It sounds like you're dealing with a con artist.

I think he's trying to get your money. I don't think he has any intention of doing any work for you.

Upwork has an escrow system that works well for clients and freelancers. This allows clients to fund work, but still maintain control fo the money. The client releases the money AFTER receiving and reviewing the work.

On Upwork, it is only in extremely rare circumstances - with highly trusted freelancers - that a client should release money up front. That is certainly not something a first-time client should do.

Thanks everyone! 

Looks like my uneasy feeling is justified.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths