🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer wants me to approve the portfolio ...
Page options
268fffea
Community Member

Freelancer wants me to approve the portfolio but how?

Hiya

I have an excellent freelancer doing work for me. At the end of his first job, he asked me if he could upload the graphic design work to his Upwork portfolio. I said yes. He said I would get a notification from Upwork to approve it. However, I haven't recieved anything from Upwork requesting approval for him to add his work to his portfolio. I have looked through every link on the Upwork site and I can't find anything about it.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.

M

15 REPLIES 15
mtngigi
Community Member

I did the same thing with one of my clients  -  as I remember it took quite a bit of time before any action was taken; I don't remember how long exactly, but it was not instantaneous. Then one day the work showed up in my portfolio.

So I would give it at least a week, and then maybe suggest the freelancer contact customer support.

dreamseller
Community Member

You won't have to approve it manually. 

If you don't dispute/disagree, it will be approved automatically and visible on freelancer's profile after 3 days. 

mtngigi
Community Member

OP - what Delwar says is correct. If you give your permission, the sample can simply be added to a portfolio.

However, when a freelancer can specify a design sample was done for an Upwork client, that stands out not only in the portfolio, but more importantly, in the freelancer's feedback list of jobs.

The actual job sample is seen attached to the feedback for that project, with this statement below the feedback: "Related portfolio item".  It's well worth it for the freelancer to be able to showcase an online client in that way.

Hi Virginia.
I have two jobs on Upwork so for. One ended very well with great feedback while the other, not so well with the client paying me half the amount when I took her to dispute. 
The first client has not acknowledged my request to us his job work in my portoflio while the second one, needless to say, has denied permission.
My question now is :
When I bid for jobs on Upwork, though I can't add these publically to my portfolio, can I still attach these when I'm submitting an individual proposal to a client or not?
Thanks in advance for your time. 

sam-sly
Community Member

I just went through this as a freelancer. The client had a hard time finding the message from UpWork and once it was found, could not easily approve it. (He said it was easier to disapprove). Eventually, the item just appeared on my profile, linked to the job. I think the process took a couple weeks. I don't know what it looks like on the client end, but I can confirm the item will appear as long as you don't dispute it. 

@Samantha S wrote:

I just went through this as a freelancer. The client had a hard time finding the message from UpWork and once it was found, could not easily approve it. (He said it was easier to disapprove). Eventually, the item just appeared on my profile, linked to the job. I think the process took a couple weeks. I don't know what it looks like on the client end, but I can confirm the item will appear as long as you don't dispute it. 

I'm waiting on one, too. After soliciting the client's approval (which I received), the item has yet to show up in my feedback list as a Related Portfolio Item. I'm wondering if there's any action the client still needs to take, or if the item will just show up after a certain amount of time.

I have a few others that showed up much sooner.

I'm sure we could all use some specific information to send clients to help them click whatever they need to click to expedite Related Portfolio Item approval, since these are boons to any freelancer's profile (in my view, they boost ethos quotient). 

Hi Martin,

When you link a portfolio item to an Upwork contract, the client is notified and has 3 days to reject. If the client doesn't reject it in the time allotted, the item will be publicly linked to your work history.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have been requested to approve the porfolio, however I am not seeing where I approve it. 

I can see the changes, but no where to approve.

Where do I approve it? 

yitwail
Community Member

Tara, you can only disapprove it, so do nothing because it will be automatically approved and tell the freelancer you approved it.

It would make sense to include the following as a pop-up (gawd forbid another one) or as a notification header when FLers add content to portfolios.

"When attaching a completed client job to your portfolio, the client is notified and has 3 days to reject public display of the item.  If not rejected by the client, the work will show in your portfolio after the 3 days. Client approval to showcase work does not require any action from the client."

Free work from me, Upwork.  😉

As a client I can confirm what John and Wendy have advised you is correct. If you want to "approve" the portfolio feature, you don't have to do anything. It will automatically approve after a few days. You only have to take action if you want to reject it.

Hi Tara,

I'll just confirm that you don't need to take any action and your freelancer's request will be automatically approved.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Freelancer added my works to their portfolio and did not request it. Can they do this?

Hi Chris,

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and I'll be happy to help you resolve this problem. Could you please click on my photo/name here and send me a private message with the freelancer's profile link, a screenshot of the portfolio item and the title of the contract the work was completed under? Once I have those details I'll be able to take a closer look and take appropriate steps.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks @Valeria K 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths