🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer wants me to send him the photos vi...
Page options
798d7934
Community Member

Freelancer wants me to send him the photos via WeTransfer or Dropbox

Hi

I've posted a job yesterday to find a Photoshop expert to do some retouching on 100 photos and I found one freelancer that meets my requirments and he has pretty good reputation 80 jobs so far, $60k+ earned and 100% job success. It looks a legit freelancer but he asked me to send him the photos via WeTransfer or Dropbox is that safe to use because is outside upwork?

Also is there any way to make an agreement or something with the freelancer that is not going to use my photos for any use?

Finnally what happens if I'm not satisfied with his job ? Can I cancel the job?

Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

This freelancer is smart. You should not try to transfer these photos using Upwork.

Upwork is far less convenient to use for transferring files, and Upwork may alter or damage files during transfer.

re: "Also is there any way to make an agreement or something with the freelancer that is not going to use my photos for any use?"

You are allowed to mak any kind of additional agreement between client and freelancer that you want to make.

But it is not necessary. The freelancer has no interest in using your photos. The freelancer is interested in working on your behalf and earning the money you pay him to do so. That is all.

re: "Finnally what happens if I'm not satisfied with his job ? Can I cancel the job?"

Clients may "cancel" (close) a contract at any time. For any reason. Or for no reason.

Freelancers may do likewise. It is freelancing. It is an "at will" relationship. There are no restrictions on when you may close a contract.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Finnally what happens if I'm not satisfied with his job ? Can I cancel the job?"

Clients may "cancel" (close) a contract at any time. For any reason. Or for no reason.

Freelancers may do likewise. It is freelancing. It is an "at will" relationship. There are no restrictions on when you may close a contract.

Deeply and likely deliberately misleading.

1. There is a difference between cancelling and closing a contract.
  2. What Preston is conveniently NOT telling the Danny is that whilst a client can cancel the contract at any time for any reason, the client can not do so without paying quite so easily.

As a side note: What is it with that urge to create 3 different posts to answer a single enquiry?

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

As a side note: What is it with that urge to create 3 different posts to answer a single enquiry?

Do we get some kind of volume discount?

b81e5df0
Community Member

Good point! + Unnecessary side note. 

So there is nothing wrong by sending the photos outside Upwork?

Re: "So there is nothing wrong by sending the photos outside Upwork?"

There is nothing wrong with doing that.

Upwork has no restrictions regarding which methods users use to exchange files.

mtngigi
Community Member

Danny H wrote:

So there is nothing wrong by sending the photos outside Upwork?

Danny,

It's often best to use sites like Dropbox when you have a lot of files . That said, I receive a lot of image files from clients in our message rooms and don't have any problems. What is an issue is that files have to be downloaded one at a time - whereas with Dropbox or WeTransfer, all the images can be grabbed at once, so it's more efficient.

If you want to be assured of a freelancer's skill, offer a small paid test for one or two images - that should help you determine if the freelancer has the skills you need.

My 2¢.

Regarding sending image files via the Upwork Messages tool:

This can often work. Although, as Virginia points out, it can be tedious.

HOWEVER:

Even if image files LOOK fine, there are typically subtle alterations made by the Message tool. There are changes to headers and meta data.

If you do DIFF-type checks on the files, or if you check the precise file sizes, you can detect changes.

For many purposes, THIS DOES NOT MATTER. But if you are dealing with large number of files, and using automated or programmatic steps in your overall process, these changes can indeed cause problems.

Preston H wrote:

Regarding sending image files via the Upwork Messages tool:

This can often work. Although, as Virginia points out, it can be tedious.

HOWEVER:

Even if image files LOOK fine, there are typically subtle alterations made by the Message tool. There are changes to headers and meta data.

If you do DIFF-type checks on the files, or if you check the precise file sizes, you can detect changes.

For many purposes, THIS DOES NOT MATTER. But if you are dealing with large number of files, and using automated or programmatic steps in your overall process, these changes can indeed cause problems.

You have to make sure to download images in the "files and links" area of your message room, as those are the high-res, best versions of a file, not the images that appear within the message window.

crart
Community Member

As long as Upwork refuses to acknowledge that graphic design/illustration/etc. work creates huge files, I will not be able to send anything via this platform. Sure server space costs so they'll never make things work right, and so I will always use external platforms to send final files as the file size limit set by Upwork is ridiculous and doesn't allow me to send anything that client can use. And they do alter files which is unacceptable.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths