Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer was not able to complete the job

miegoreng
Dennis E Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
1 of 5

Hi there

I have a question to you guys. At certain times you contract freelance developpers and they are not capeable of completing the job.

In my case I have 10 hours recorded on a small task. Unfortunately the job was not completed and what was done so far, was not useable at all. How do you proceed in cases like this? Abort project, ask for refund, pay the dev and just carry on?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Hi Dennis,

When were those hours logged, and were they manual hours or properly tracked ones (you can see that in the work diary)?

Depending on the answers your options may be a dispute or asking the developer for a refund or even ask them to delete hours (for the current week ONLY)

However, when you hire someone on an hourly basis you are paying for the time they spend working on your project, not for a deliverable as such. Hence asking for a refund or asking them to delete their hours may or maynot be inappropriate. We really need a bit more info to advise on that.

The first thing I would do is pause the contract so you're not going to be billed any more time. The next step is to contact the freelancer and discuss it with them, see if you can come to an amicable solution.

Please note that you only have a few hours left to dispute (if appropriate) anyhours that were logged for LAST week, and cannot dispute the hours logged during the current week until Monday.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 5

It's hard to say without details as Petra said.

Part of hiring a dev on a small hourly job is to see if they are capable. If they are not, is it right to take away their pay? That was the whole point of hiring them for a small, low hour gig, so is it right to take their pay because you completed what you were trying to do? Sometimes, 10 hours isn't enough, the client says one thing in the bid requests and then thinks the change in what they want is minor and it's not. As the dev, they maybe tried to make you happy and attempt it anyway and it didn't work out.

There are a lot of factors. 

If the purpose was to test the dev, then I would pay him and walk away. If he promised he could do it, I suppose then it gets iffy. If I'm not sure of something or I think it's iffy, I tell the client straight up that I don't think it can be done or it's possible it won't work out. For some reason, clients read into that as "oh, it might be buggy but usable" but it covers my butt in case they come back and said I promised something would work.

282db5a3
Charles D Member Since: Mar 7, 2018
4 of 5

did you pay there person and he issues getting the money back?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
5 of 5

Charles, this thread is 2 1/2 years old.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS