cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Freelancer withholding passwords

Highlighted
Cameron M Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
1 of 21

An SEO consultant I hired whos contract has now ended is withholding the passwords from external accounbts they created. 

- They first created a Gmail account

Now they have this Gmail account the created accounts such as:

-Tumblr 

-Imgr

- Pinterest 

- etc...

Unfortunatly someone has changed the password fot the Gmail account and I cant get assess to any of them. Unfortunatley much of the content they submitted to these accounts were very poor quality. 

The freelancer claims thye have no idea and this is my issue.

Note: I have never gained access to the gmail account that the freelancer created. They say there is nothing they can do, not even retireiave or recover the passowrd. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 21

There is no excuse for that kind of behavior on the part of a freelancer.

You should stop working with this freelancer and not work with her again.

Feel free to report this freelancer to Upwork if you want to by contacting Customer Support.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 21

If they have access to your Search Console, it's time to log in and take them out quickly. These low end SEO exparts are notorious for having entire sites removed from search when the owner realizes that they get what they pay for and end the contract.

Remove their permissions asap.

Highlighted
4 of 21

Lucky for me he did not have access to the search console. He had'nt even asked for permissions, to me that is weird in itself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 21

And never again hire any SEO expart on Upwork. Nor anywhere else. If you want SEO experts, Google "SEO ranking agency" or something similar and hire the one that ranks the best. They know how to do it. And they charge accordingly.

All those cheapos who do $3/hour SEO on Upwork, on Fourplusonerr and such are just jokes who milk cheap clients in the hope of earning a buck or two.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
6 of 21

The frustrating thing is he was $15.99 hr. That's good money in India i belieave. I think he did not like the fact I was questioning his strategy and had little trust from the begining. Many of the high athorithy websites he recommnded for content creation turrned out to have the highest traffic based in India.

I have screenshots from the work diary of login deatials from other websites he was working on. I will be giving them a call shortly to make them aware. That'll be after I informthe freelancer of this information

Highlighted
7 of 21

I also felt compelled to leave a good review, because I did not want him causing me problems. Just like he has

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 21

@Cameron M wrote:

I also felt compelled to leave a good review, because I did not want him causing me problems. Just like he has

You lost my sympathy at this point. If a freelancer caused you this type of trouble and did bad work that hurts your brand, but you made the conscious decision to mislead other clients into thinking he did a good job and put them in the same position to save yourself a bit of trouble...maybe karma is real.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 21

No such thing as an unselfish act.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 21

@Jennifer M wrote:

No such thing as an unselfish act.

Yeah, yeah...we all know that's just something you need to tell yourself so you can help strangers in the forums without losing your mean girl cred.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS