Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer withholding passwords

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 21

I get entertainment from it though. I"m selfish. Smiley Sad

Not as much as /r/freelancewriters. It's safer there too. I highly suggest it. 

Highlighted
Cameron M Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
12 of 21

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 21

^ bud, you got me all curious now! is there an image that isn't showing?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 21

re: "The frustrating thing is he was $15.99 hr. That's good money in India i belieave."

That's good money in the United States.

But why would you say such a thing?

That is irrelevent. What matters here is you and your project. What matters is how much value you obtained relative to what you paid.

Highlighted
15 of 21

I feel I got very little value. Just check out this video he made and posted up on Youtube.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I did not give him the go ahead to create such rubbish and now I can'nt remove it. 

Going over the screen shots from the work diary, i now know he was taking advatage of someone who did'nt have much knowledge on SEO. I'll take full responsibility for that. But not the fact he's blocking me from the email account he created.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 21

Dude, hire someone in your country and don't hire someone who can barely speak English.

You're obviously looking for marketing not SEO. SEO is just making your site crawlable by search engines. That's it. The rest of the garbage these people sell is junk spam that can actually do more harm than good. Even you said that this video is embarrassing.

Find a good marketing person in your country. Don't go cheap. If it's expensive, then just have them work a few hours a week. Or you can do some of the things yourself. My thing is go expensive but just limit the work so I can afford it. You'll get much more value with a really good marketing person that charges a lot than some spam content junk person who is cheap and spams the Internet. 

With content, it's far more valuable to spend $300 on 1 amazing blog post from an expert that you can proudly promote to variaous platforms than 10 junk articles from some ESL that spits out re-worded sentences from someone else's site.

Highlighted
17 of 21

Thanks for your advice and hiring someone here is exactly what i've done.

It's been a costly lesson, time to move on and hope eventually he get's his up and coming.  Hoping any damaging work he's done doesn't affect my business too much or at all.

It bugs me that he's still operating in the Upwork system ready to take andvantge of the next person. He knows the system to well

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 21

Hi Cameron, 

I'm sorry you had an unfortunate experience once your contract was closed. It looks like you are still able to communicate with the freelancer that worked on this contract. Please communicate with your freelancer directly regarding the the issue on the project. 

While the dispute period for your freelancer's logged hours has already ended, we can look into this if you have further information or evidence that it was indeed your freelancer who changed login information on your project.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
19 of 21

I have been communicating and i've been told it is not his problem. I 100% did not change the password email/gmail account he created, I am also 100% none of me team members changed it, or even accessed it.. He is adiment he did not change it aswell/

With that said and regardless of who changed the password, he should still have the recovery email address or phone number connected to this email/gmail account. Thus being able to reset the password. 

He told me he will contact me tomorrow, I will see how that goes. If he does not help take action and get me access to the account, i'll most certianly be esculating this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 21

Cameron:

The path forward is to be nice to the freelancer, and ask him to provide whatever work files and account access (usernames and passwords) you can get him to provide you with.

Collect all these to a secure place that he does not have access to.

Then change all passwords to new passwords that the freelancer doesn't have.

Do that TODAY.

Use the materials you collected yourself if there is anything usable, or turn them over to the new people you hire.

Then you are done with him.

Block him so he can't communicate with you. Close any remaining contracts. Never hire him again. And the most important thing: never try to get any more money from him. Do not talk to Upwork customer support about him. Forget about the freelancer. Put this incident out of your mind and move on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS