🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer won't complete my Project
Page options
26fa7bd5
Community Member

Freelancer won't complete my Project

I have Contract with an illustrator that I've been working with on here since last year. 

He has been illustrating a series of 26 children's books that run from A-Z  I always pay on the milestone date but he's been getting the drawings back to me later and later.  Today he messaged me to say he can no longer work on my Project as he's to busy and the cost now isn't enough.

I'm absolutely livid but not sure who to speak to about this.

Any ideas woukd be extremely appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Carolyn

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

Carolyn:

Clients may close a contract at any time.

Freelancers may end a contract at any time.

It is not clear to me how being livid will benefit you.

Let me encourage you to put yourself and your project first. Do not focus on any individual freelancer.

I don't think trying to talk this freelancer into continuing to work on your project at the original rates you were paying would be worth your time.

You should choose between these options:

- Working with other freelancers in order to complete the project.

- Offering the current freelancer considerably more money to continue on with the project.

- Asking the current freelancer how much it would cost to make sure that he can continue working on the project, while making it his top-priority project.

Firstly, I found your comment about being livid extremely condescending. I
an in the middle of a really important project only to find my freelancer
has 'changed his mind' and won't complete the work. I'm entitled to be
livid whether it "benefits" me or not!

Secondly, I haven't offered him the same amount at the same rate. Of course
I've offered him more money to complete it and even asking what the cost
would be to make it a priority.

Please understand, I'm not an idiot I just don't understand that when you
have a signed agreement with someone, how it can be broken so easily. It's
totally unprofessional!

I don't blame you for being disappointed by what happened. It is understandable that you are frustrated that this freelancer does want to continue working on your project.

As you have already tried the other options, then what remains is to hire other freelancers to continue the work.

Upwork has no way to force someone to continue working with you if they don't want to do so.

Preston H wrote:

I don't blame you for being disappointed by what happened. It is understandable that you are frustrated that this freelancer does want to continue working on your project.

As you have already tried the other options, then what remains is to hire other freelancers to continue the work.

Upwork has no way to force someone to continue working with you if they don't want to do so.

It was highly, highly unprofessional of the freelancer to accept a contract and then to turn around and demand more money. 

I can completely understand the OP's fury. She has series of children's books all by the same illustrator and now the series will be incomplete because they will look different, and it could certainly impact  the sales of the OP's books. 

Unfortunately, as you say, there is little the OP can do about it. But I know if it were me, I would be extremely upset too. 

Nichola L wrote:

Preston H wrote:

It was highly, highly unprofessional of the freelancer to accept a contract and then to turn around and demand more money. 

I can completely understand the OP's fury. She has series of children's books all by the same illustrator and now the series will be incomplete because they will look different, and it could certainly impact  the sales of the OP's books. 

Unfortunately, as you say, there is little the OP can do about it. But I know if it were me, I would be extremely upset too. 

Nichola, I would think it is too early to rule the freelancer as unprofessional just yet.

To start with, we have not heard both sides of the story yet.

It is possible this client found the freelancer at a time when he had low ratings or little track record, and was begging for just anybody to hire him, willing to work at very low rates.

After he had consistently proven himself to this client over the course of one year, it is possible the Upwork system granted the freelancer access to projects offering compensation more in line with his actual skill and experience level.

If you found a low-budget project was taking up a lot of time and preventing you from doing work for new clients paying professional rates and offering steady work, what would you do? (Allow for response)

I wouldn't get livid at a freelancer for wanting to run a financially sustainable business.

I really wouldn't.

This is why it is especially important for clients to offer great rates from the get-go, especially if they need availability and reliability over extended periods of time. Or at least, offer pay rises every x period of time.

For these kinds of projects, a client should never feel like they got a steal.

If I were the freelancer I would simply end the contract and offer to continue working on the project at a higher (yet reasonable) rate.

Sometimes a freelancer leaves... and there is NOTHING that a client can do about it.

And no amount of money can change that.

Like Mandy Patinkin.

He was the star of "Criminal Minds" for the first three seasons. But constantly being immersed in dark stories about serial killers just became to much for him. When season 4 started filming, he simply didn't show up. He didn't even give notice. His place in the show was replaced by Joe Mantegna, playing a different character.

Was this behavior "unprofessional"? Yes.

But the show went on for 12 more seasons with Mantegna.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carolyn,

I'm sorry about your experience with the contract in question. I understand the effect and frustration a change mid-project like this can create. If you can't agree with the freelancer to continue working on your job and do not have any issues with payments and the work they delivered thus far, you can consider completing the existing contract and reviewing other freelancers you might have shortlisted for the original job post or repost the job again and hire a new freelancer to complete the job. Please let us know if you need help with inviting freelancers who have the required skills and experience and our team will gladly follow up and assist you further.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
alekseevpavel78
Community Member

Carolyn H wrote:

Today he messaged me to say he can no longer work on my Project as he's to busy and the cost now isn't enough.

Any ideas woukd be extremely appreciated. 

Just offer him more/increase the rate. Are there some reasons for him to earn less money if he can earn more? 

Pavel:

You are asking a logical question.

But remember that we have only heard one side of this.

Of course what the freelancer did is something we routinely classify as unprofessional.

And of course we want things to work out for the original poster.

But even if the original poster is 100% correct and right in this situation, we have still only heard one side of this. The client DID offer the freelancer to continue working on the project, and the freelancer declined that offer.

But there is an upside to the current situation, and that's this:

There are many thousands of talented artists available for hire on Upwork. I have personally hired dozens of them.

There ARE artists on Upwork who can replicate the original freelancer's style so closely that only an expert would be able to tell the difference.

If this was my project, then I would post samples of the original freelancer's artwork on a private server without a link to my contact information. Then I would post a job posting explaining that I want to hire an artist who can replicate this style and continue illustrating my series of books.

Then I would hire 5 to 10 of the most promising prospects to illustrate a couple of pages each.

Then I would pick the best freelancers from among these to complete the project.

Preston:

Yes, You 're right - we see only one side of the coin.

It's very possible that the requirements for the illustrations were changed and become more complex than agreed initially, probably the amount of work or amount of corrections was increased, and the updated offer was not good enough. 

And you're right again - "There are many thousands of talented artists available for hire on Upwork". There is a solution. 

Pavel...

When I hire artists on Upwork, I hire using their hourly rate, or a fixed-price rate that they propose to me. I don't propose budgets. I post hourly jobs and often they ask to convert these to fixed-price and they tell me how much to charge.

So I don't want people to think I'm some kind of cheapskate client...

All of that notwithstanding, when I have hired artists on Upwork, I have OFTEN been shocked by how awesome their work has been. And sometimes I am frankly embarrassed by how much I paid compared to what it is that they provided me with. Because - really - they could have charged much more.

I have posted some of the commissions in the Forum and in other places online. The pieces I have posted range from mediocre to truly outstanding. Some of the best stuff are private commissions that nobody in the Forum has ever seen.

I am convinced that Upwork is one of the best places to go to hire artists to produce original artwork.

Coming back to the original poster's situation:

None of my praise for artists on Upwork GENERALLY is an excuse for unprofessional behavior by one individual freelancer. I HAVE hired artists on Upwork who never turned in work, and have otherwise behaved unprofessionally. I expect this from a certain percentage of artists. (After all, it's in their name.)

Preston H wrote:

Pavel...

When I hire artists on Upwork, I hire using their hourly rate, or a fixed-price that they propose to me. I don't propose budgets. I post hourly jobs and often they ask to convert these to fixed-price and they tell me how much to charge.

Preston,

I would be more than happy to work on some of your projects 🙂 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths