🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancers claiming credit for other's w...
Page options
b40f0fcd
Community Member

Freelancers claiming credit for other's work?

I recently posted a job for logo design, and I noticed that two of the applicants have the same image in the links to their previous work.  Both have a record or successfully providing services via this platform in past.  Reasonable explainations are possible such as they worked at the same firm and were both involved, but investigating is beyond the investment I am going to make in selecting somebody for my posting.  A little searching suggest the logo was another party entirely.  Is there anything I ought to do in terms of reporting this suspcious content?

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Gregory,

You can always report any user for inappropriate activity or behavior by flagging their profile. You can do this by clicking the "..." button on the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

If you wish, you can also click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more info about the accounts you're reporting.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
versailles
Community Member

Gregory T wrote:

I recently posted a job for logo design, and I noticed that two of the applicants have the same image in the links to their previous work.  

I'd say thet the majority of the designers on Upwork have stolen portfolio material and will give you stolen content. This is especially true with the ones who work for close to nothing.

People on online platforms are under the impression that a logo costs $5 (a logo created by a professional takes hours to design and its cost amounts to hundreds of dollars) and naturally, there is a market that has developed to cater to these naive clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Gregory T wrote:

I recently posted a job for logo design, and I noticed that two of the applicants have the same image in the links to their previous work.  

I'd say thet the majority of the designers on Upwork have stolen portfolio material and will give you stolen content. This is especially true with the ones who work for close to nothing.

I don't agree that the majority of designers have stolen portfolio material, but it's certainly a big problem, especially in the logo design category (where it's easy to search for free vector images online, download them, and sell them to unsuspecting clients). And yes, the scammers will get good reviews unless/until it occurs to a client to do a reverse image search on Google - which I highly recommend that ALL logo clients on Upwork should do, even with the higher-priced designers.

Rene K wrote:

Gregory T wrote:

People on online platforms are under the impression that a logo costs $5 (a logo created by a professional takes hours to design and its cost amounts to hundreds of dollars) and naturally, there is a market that has developed to cater to these naive clients.

I respectfully disagree as well, Rene. The majority of designers on Upwork are not the scammers and thieves who claim other's works as their own. It is most definitely a huge problem that won't go way without better vetting practices. Lately it seems every new profile, no matter what skill they have, logo design is in there are well, and that's because it is so easy to grab ready-made artwork and call it your own, to unsuspecting clients.

Clients should to do their due diligence before hiring anyone. But that said, if it's a low-budget job, the chances of artwork being original are slim to none, and clients will get what they pay for.

Gregory, if someone sends you samples of their artwork, use Google's reverse image search to see what comes up. It's unfortunate that there are people who claim someone else's work as their own, but that is why clients must be careful and meticulous before hiring anyone. It's hard when there's good feedback on a profile, because many clients have no idea that they are not getting original artwork, and are sometimes getting logos already in use by other businesses, or worse, images that are copyrighted not to be used for commercial but for personal use only.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths