🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancers misrepresenting their work hi...
Page options
d18a295d
Community Member

Freelancers misrepresenting their work history

Hi,

I'm new here. After browsing the freelancers for a need we have I found one who, checked against LinkedIn, is quite obviously misrepresenting her work history. What is to be done? I created an account and tried to contact Upwork, assuming would be concerned about this given that it's being done at their reputational expense. Instead, here I am making a forum post, the only option given to me. This really, really does not make me feel good about using this platform - 10 years of fake job experience and my recourse is to talk it out on the forums? Wow.

8 REPLIES 8
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Dorothea,

You can use Flag as Inappropriate link on the profile to report it. There is a field for you to add any supporting evidence or links. These reports are taken seriously and are reviewed by Upwork Marketplace Team. Let us know if you'd like us to follow up on your report.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
bobafett999
Community Member

@Dorothea W wrote:

Hi,

I'm new here. After browsing the freelancers for a need we have I found one who, checked against LinkedIn, is quite obviously misrepresenting her work history. What is to be done? I created an account and tried to contact Upwork, assuming would be concerned about this given that it's being done at their reputational expense. Instead, here I am making a forum post, the only option given to me. This really, really does not make me feel good about using this platform - 10 years of fake job experience and my recourse is to talk it out on the forums? Wow.

Well Dorothea;  I hear you and there is nothing Upwork or any other on-line freelancing platform can do.  They don't have time or resources to verify several million profiles.  Basically, it is a market place and both buyers and sellers have the responsibility to vett each other.  You did your homework and verified the freelancer.

As a general rule of thumb if you are looking to spend rock bottom prices, but expecting a super star you will face similar situations. There have been rumors that you can buy Upwork profile on the internet.  I have seen profiles of people with expertize in high demand field with an hourly rate of $5.

What can you do?

1. Check it yourself - look at their work history.

2. Adjust your price point - if the price point is too low in your posting qualified freelancers will not bother to apply.

3. TALK to the freelancer

4. Hire US only

5. Hire locally.

And finally look at your risk reward euation.  Hiring people unseen from far far away has a risk that things will not go the way you had planned.  Are you willing to accept that risk for the potential reward of saving money?

@Prashant P wrote:

4. Hire US only

Hire US only???????????

**Edited for Community Guidelines** How do you know where the client is located?

How do you know the job she needs to have done is US-centric?

What if she needs a German to Norwegian translation?

Jeez, seriously P, you seem to assume all clients are in the US, all clients are "cheap" and all non US freelancers are cr*p.

Take off the blinkers.

Oh come on Petra....that was only one option, just above Hire Locally. 

Option 2 does not even talk about location...that option contains greelancers from the entire Milky Way galaxy.

@Prashant P wrote:

Option 2 does not even talk about location...that option contains greelancers from the entire Milky Way galaxy.

What?????

ETA: I find it quite extraordinary that some people are naive enought to think that freelancers in the US are squeaky clean. There are just as many fraudsters there as anywhere else in the world. 

re: "There are just as many fraudsters there as anywhere else in the world."

Obviously you don't mean that in a mathematical sense.

But I understand what you are saying.

Even when hiring freelancers who actually live in the U.S., it is possible to get a bad apple.

Even with U.S.-based freelancers, clients SHOULD use best practices. Such as only working with the most productive, valuable freelancers and closing the contracts on underperforming freelancers. And reviewing work before releasing milestone payments. Etc.

All, 

We'll be closing this thread from further replies as it's gone off topic. Regardless of how you feel about hiring locally or globally, please make sure you adhere to the Community Guidelines and treat other members with respect.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Prashant P wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Interesting considering you sure as (whatever) were not born in the US either, but now enjoy and exploit the privilege of living there. To (whatever) with the rest of the globe as long as you are in the favoured land? Seriously? Disgusting. Totally disgusting.

Seriously, that was just one of the most offensive and ignorant and (self edited as moderators would edit it anyway) posts of the month, if not the year.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths