🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Freelancers sending emails outside of Upw...
Page options
d85bf9e2
Community Member

Freelancers sending emails outside of Upwork system

I posted a job description a few days ago and I am getting more response from freelancers through my email than I am proposals through Upwork.  How should I respond?  Based upon the terms of service, I think that I should not be engaging with those freelancers.  Is there a way to prevent these emails?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ugh.

These people are the worst.

I'm sorry to hear that ANYBODY is acting inappropriately like this.

Nobody - not Upwork freelancers, or NON-Upwork users - should be violating the intent of Upwork's system and a client's expectations by sending solicitations outside of established channels.

As others in this thread have pointed out, if you make sure that there is no way for somebody to sleuth out your contact information based on the information in your job posting, you will avoid getting these messages.

I just wish that wasn't necessary.

Should you respond at all?
I would not send ANY response.

I feel like ANY response, even a negative one, only encourages these people continue their inappropriate behavior.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Ted J wrote:

Is there a way to prevent these emails?

Yes, by not adding any info that will identify you or your company on your job post.

petra_r
Community Member

Ted J wrote:

.  How should I respond?

Not at all.

Ted J wrote:

Is there a way to prevent these emails?

If you get them it means your job post included details that identified you and might mean that you posted it publicly rather than "Upwork only"?

To prevent this, you need to remove all identifying details from the job post and set it to "Upwork users only"

d85bf9e2
Community Member

Thank you... The posting has no identifying information (emails, phone, etc...) and is set for Upwork only.  So they musy be getting the information from the profile on Upwork.

Ted J wrote:

Thank you... The posting has no identifying information (emails, phone, etc...) and is set for Upwork only.  So they musy be getting the information from the profile on Upwork.

Probably some of your job postings in the past did not follow the rule above?

Probably one of your previous hires mentioned your name (or company name) in their public feedback to you? The folks who contacted you outside Upwork could have pulled up your info through these means.

But know that Upwork doesn't divulge personally identifying info about client before the interview stage.

dataextract
Community Member

//Based upon the terms of service, I think that I should not be engaging with those freelancers//

You should not engage them to work outside the platform. It is ok you may choose one among them and award them the job in Upwork if they placed their bid and pay them through Upwork if you feel they are fit for your job.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

You're not necessarily violating Upwork's terms of service by exchanging emails with potential freelancers.

If you make any payments to them outside Upwork's payment system, that is a violation of ToS by both you and the freelancer.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ugh.

These people are the worst.

I'm sorry to hear that ANYBODY is acting inappropriately like this.

Nobody - not Upwork freelancers, or NON-Upwork users - should be violating the intent of Upwork's system and a client's expectations by sending solicitations outside of established channels.

As others in this thread have pointed out, if you make sure that there is no way for somebody to sleuth out your contact information based on the information in your job posting, you will avoid getting these messages.

I just wish that wasn't necessary.

Should you respond at all?
I would not send ANY response.

I feel like ANY response, even a negative one, only encourages these people continue their inappropriate behavior.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths