🐈
» Forums » Clients » Frustrated with Service
Page options
f0cb52a5
Community Member

Frustrated with Service

A little frustrated with the service, I have received. I asked for a data analysis and it was not done correctly. I think if you pay for a service, it should be done correctly and if the person cannot do the service they should not take the job.  

12 REPLIES 12
PradeepH

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your message, 

I am sorry to hear about your experience with a Freelancer. I see that you had already initiated a dispute process for your hired Freelancer. Feel free to message us with more information if you need assistance with the same contract.

Thank you

Pradeep.

Upwork

To make a long story short I thought I paid for a data analysis and that
was not what I recieved. I have been asking several questions and when I
check my colleagues the information I am provided is still wrong or lacks
detail. Yes, I filed a dispute and removed the dispute because I thought
this person gave me the right information only to find out it was not
correct. There has to be a way to protect customers who just want a good
service. Thoughts?
petra_r
Community Member

Ray T wrote:

Yes, I filed a dispute and removed the dispute 

If you removed the dispute it's game over. You can not re-start a dispute according to the terms of service. It's time to let it go and move on.

Well to make long story short I asked for a complete data analysis for publication, and I was not given that. Instead, I was given a few tables and told to write 3 or 4 sentences and that is not a detailed analysis of data. I have contacted the individual and he does not seem to be able to answer all of my questions and it makes me wonder now if he knows how to do it, or if he is just copying something and sending it to me. I have discussed his work with a few colleagues, and they said it is not a complete analysis of the data. To be honest I could have run the data on SPSS and got a few tables. I feel like I have wasted my money and not received what I have asked for. When you pay for a service, you should not have to constantly ask questions what this mean or that mean it should be ready to go.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "A little frustrated with the service, I have received. I asked for a data analysis and it was not done correctly. I think if you pay for a service, it should be done correctly and if the person cannot do the service they should not take the job."

Ray:

You said that you are frustrated with the service.

It will be helpful if you can keep in mind what service Upwork provides, versus what service freelancers provide.

Upwork does not provide data analysis.

Upwork did not do any data analysis "incorrectly" for you.

Upwork is a platform that allows clients to find, hire, and pay freelancers.

You have been able to do that.

Your disappointment is in the data analysis work that was done on your behalf. That work was done by a freelancer you hired.

Upwork does not guarantee the work done by any freelancer. Upwork does not vet freelancers.

You are correct that data analysis you received was disappointing to you.

What should you do?

You should understand that not all freelancers will be able to do work that meets the needs of your project. The freelancer you hired may indeed be capable of providing work that some clients need. But he wasn't the right freelancer for this project.

This is a normal occurrence.

Successful clients understand this. Moreover, for every job niche/pay rate combination, there is a statistically predictable failure rate. If you are hiring low-cost freelancers, it will be important to hire more freelancers in order to find one who will be able to meet your needs. An alternative approach is to hire higher-cost freelancers who are more likely to be able meet your needs. Clients often find that they can hire a single higher-cost freelancer, versus hiring multiple lower-cost freelancers. Many clients mix these strategies. You should use the hiring strategy that works best for you.

The moderator commenting on your post noted that you filed a dispute. It is possible to do that. I suggest a different approach: My personal recomendation is for clients to proactively plan to never file disputes. This helps clients save time and money. Refund thinking hurts clients. When you think that you can get money back from freelancers, you are gambling. You might get money back. You might not. A safer and more effective approach is to monitor the work submitted by freelancers, especially early on, and stop paying them money if their work doesn't meet your needs. It is always easier to NOT pay an underperforming freelancer in the first place, compared to paying a freelancer and then trying to get money back.

Thank you for your response, and I agree with you. The only problem is some people are charging a fee and not supplying a quality service. Which to me is a rip off and the company should be able to do something about this. This is very disappointing, you pay for a service, and you do not want to spend time asking questions trying to get the answers that you thought you paid for, and those are not correct. I am really wondering if everything else is correct..................

Freelancers on Upwork offer services at all quality levels. These range from unusable to perfect.

On Upwork, there is no such thing as paying for a service and having it be certified as "correct."

Each client decides for himself what level of quality he requires. Each client should then hire freelancers and evaluate their work until they find a freelancer whose quality and work style will meet their needs. Effective clients plan to pay for work that they can't use. Effective clients quickly identify the freelancers submitting low-quality work and end those contracts. Effective clients continue working only with the freelancers who provide them with the most value. This saves time and money.

Upwork itself can not tell you ahead of time if a freelancer's work will meet your needs.

I understand this was my first time using this service and it was an eye opener for me! And, I guess a learning experience and a frustration process at the same time.

MANY clients have a similar experience to what you describe.

If you are not accustomed to hiring freelancers on Upwork or other freelance work platforms, there is no particular reason that you would have know that this is how things are.

Sad because people are allowed to get away with it, and filing a complaint does no good..........complete waste of time.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ray,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused! It looks like you have an open ticket with our team about this case. I’ll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
f0cb52a5
Community Member

Hello Bojan,

Thank you for your help with this and I appreciate it. Please let me know if you need anything.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths