🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Frustration
Page options
resultsassoc
Community Member

Frustration

I just posted a job on UW for somene to draw specific size labeled rectangular shapes in PowerPoint. I invited freelancers who had PowerPoint in their tagline.

The first response was from an uninvited Canadian freelancer, who touted her Photoshop capabilities. PowerPoint isn't even a skill. I provided a list of dimensions and labels, for about 25 rectangles. A freelancer asked for an explanation of the project. I sent a message asking what more she needed. I tried UW's phone call; doesn't work for mobiles. I asked for her phone number in Europe; she said that UW ToS prohibits communicating outside UW.

After half an hour, she said she didn't have the skills to do it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bill, I tried using U voice messaging once.  Disconnected a couple of times. Lousy quality throughout all the moments we were connected. Client and I switched to Skype with audible sighs of relief.

I simply click on the silly box that pops up at the mention of Skype.  It goes away.

And kudos to you for compensating the PP person over and above...  🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
resultsassoc
Community Member

While I was busy posting the job on another board, a UK provider applied and proved she understood the requirement. I tried using UW phone, no joy. For the first time ever, I hired her blind without exploring a fit..

Bill, by UW phone, do you mean voice conversation? If so, I think Skype's more reliable, even though I'm not a skype fan.

Not a fan of Skype either, but I prefer using that buggy system rather than Upwork's VoIP. 

I have made fun of the Upwork's voice function in the past. One day, I eventually ended up using.

I was pleasantly surprised with the video and voice quality.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene, it's so nice when some things work well (or actually even work) sometimes; isn't it?

Even Upwork's four-part course for clients suggests using Skype or google hangout. If I use the term Skype in a response to a job, I get a warning not to take the conversation off-upwork. Same thing for phone.

The UK provider went over and above, and I gave her a 66% bonus.

Until UW phone/video works, I'm using Skype, phone and e-mail. All three are run by customer-focused companies.

@Bill H wrote:

Until UW phone/video works, I'm using Skype, phone and e-mail. All three are run by customer-focused companies.

THREAD HIJACK ALERT/RANT ALERT

Skype, bah, humbug. I used it for several years as a virtual attendant: paid for a phone number, had a voice mail greeting set up and email alerts for incoming messages. When at my desk, I answered calls; when I was away, it took a message and pinged me. I could reserve my mobile number for active clients and publish the skype number in marketing. I could use the Skype number when conducting occasional interview projects, and keep my mobile number out of the mix. I did not get very many incoming calls that I cared about, because my biz was 90% long-term clients and I am lazy about biz-dev.

One day last year, I happened to discover a weeks-old voice mail message at my skype number, and several hang-ups over the course of a few months. It turns out Skype, with no notification whatsoever, had discontinued email alerts for incoming messages AND eliminated customized voice mail greetings. So anyone calling me would hear a generic greeting and if they did leave a message, I'd have no way of knowing it. That was on services I was PAYING for.

After shopping around, I moved my number over to phone.com and it works great as an answering service but doesn't include outbound calling capability (unless you upgrade and maybe invest in a VOIP phone). Meanwhile, Skype's most recent upgrade changed the entire interface. Every conversation I've ever had with anybody, going back years, is now listed in the lefthand column that formerly was a handy index of current contacts. Those old threads can only be deleted manually, one at a time. And there are other changes that don't seem to make any sense. It's difficult to see who they are designing it for, nowadays.

Skype is now owned and "operated" by Microsoft. I recently spent over an hour pingponging between a MS rep and a Skype rep, trying to find out what kind of Skype functionality is available to me as a small business user of Office 365, as opposed to my longstanding personal Skype account. Neither rep could answer any of my questions, nor could I engage their interest in helping me find someone who could.

NOT customer-focused.

Bill, I tried using U voice messaging once.  Disconnected a couple of times. Lousy quality throughout all the moments we were connected. Client and I switched to Skype with audible sighs of relief.

I simply click on the silly box that pops up at the mention of Skype.  It goes away.

And kudos to you for compensating the PP person over and above...  🙂

@Phyllis G wrote:

THREAD HIJACK ALERT/RANT ALERT

Skype, bah, humbug ... and stuff ...

See my post here: Microsoft Resumes Download of Classic Skype v7.4x

Latest Articles
Learning Paths