Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fund Multiple Milestones

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 48

@Jean-Eric P wrote:

But is there a way to fund multiple milestones AFTER the job has started?

Nope. You need to release a milestone before funding another one.

Many have complained about this, but Upwork doesn't want to change this...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Gabriel D Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
12 of 48

Excuse me, but, are you a freelancer or a Client, because as a freelancer I can´t find the way to "add milestones" I went to "my jobs"  section but the only thing i can make is to change the price, but I can´t find the way to add milestones... when I worked on elance I added the milestones myself it was sooo easy. Now -on upwork- seems to be  "a client task".

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 48

Hi Gabriel,

It's correct, currently the client needs to add new milestones on fixed-price jobs. Our product team is working on adding more functionality for freelancers in that sphere.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Justin C Member Since: Feb 6, 2018
14 of 48

Hi Valeria, good day.

I just want to ask some questions since this is my first time to work as a freelancer in Upwork. Here are my questions:

1. My client funded me the first milestone for $5. Do I need to get/request $ the first milestone so that I can go to the second milestone?

Thank you for the answer in advance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
15 of 48

@Justin C wrote:

Hi Valeria, good day.

I just want to ask some questions since this is my first time to work as a freelancer in Upwork. Here are my questions:

1. My client funded me the first milestone for $5. Do I need to get/request $ the first milestone so that I can go to the second milestone?

Thank you for the answer in advance.

If the client has only funded $5, then you only do $5 worth of work. You submit that work using the "submit work and request payment" button, and you wait for that submission to be approved and the next milestone to be funded (not just created, but funded) before starting on that work.

Highlighted
Phil R Member Since: Jun 10, 2016
16 of 48

I'm a client and feel I have litte control over what is added or changed. As I mentioned above I cannot add milestones that I had added when the project was started. I can add new milestones but not release existing ones for payment. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 48

Hi Phil, as far as I know Upwork doesn't have that option. I think the way to get around it would be to either pay a bonus for the milestone amount and clear it out, or just release the current milestone and adjust the amount that you pay when you release it, then set the current milestone again. Neither option is simple, unfortunately Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
18 of 48

Hi Sarah!

Glad to see you got your question answered by Petra. Even better to see the approach you take with setting multiple milestones and using Escrow to fund them. This is definitely a best practice!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Debmallya B Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
19 of 48

Yes, its best practice to setup multiple milestones to better manage the project.

But its a BAD practice to not allow funding multiple milestones or allow adding more milestones and funding them mid of project.

This helps in better and faster executions and also handle issues when new items come up in middle of development and its easier to add a new milestone and fund that for additional changes.

Would request you to please consider this item and see if this can be done.

Regards

Deb

Highlighted
Daniel W Member Since: Apr 7, 2017
20 of 48

Garnor, in my opinion Sarah's question was not answered. Upwork does not allow funding milestones.  That's an answer, but  not a solution!  As others have posted, we want to fun all milestones.

Right now I just had to remove all my milestones so that I cound fund the whole project, which defeats the entire purpose of milestones.  So perhaps you need to decouple milestones from payments.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS