Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fund Multiple Milestones

Highlighted
Dane G Member Since: Sep 28, 2017
21 of 48

+1 for this.

Sometimes I like to do a trial run with a contractor and then "release" more work to them without having to start a new contract. This allows me to determine the level of hand-holding needed.

But in the next phase, providing more context is important. Forcing a contractor to finish a given milestone before moving onto the next one does not give them the flexibility to adapt to surprise dependencies that might require them to finish a different milestone first.

To do that effectively I need to be able to add / fund multiple milestones simultaneously.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 48

Thanks, Dane. We appreciate your feedback as we continue working on improving the process for fixed-price contracts.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
23 of 48

@Valeria K wrote:

Thanks, Dane. We appreciate your feedback as we continue working on improving the process for fixed-price contracts.

With all due respect Valeria, you said the same thing in this thread more than a year ago.

My long term client has the same problem with funding multiple milestones, but his workaround is deleting milestones, and adding new ones with different details in the place of the deleted milestones. Seems rather silly to me  to not be able to fund multiple milestones at the same time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
24 of 48

@Reinier B wrote:

@Valeria K wrote:

With all due respect Valeria, you said the same thing in this thread more than a year ago.

It's a polite answer. It means: don't hold your breath.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Marcus D Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
25 of 48

Any update on this?

Best practice is not to start work until all milestones are funded, but if a client didn't fund them at the beginning by mistake, then what? There is no way to add the funds. Should I just cancel the job? 

Also there doesn't seem to be a help center page telling clients how to fund all milestones, if I need to hold my clients hand through this process then a little help from Upwork would be nice..

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
26 of 48

Hi Marcus,

The client can fund each consecutive milestone as they release them. Unfortunately, there isn't an option to fund the next milestone without releasing the funds from the current one.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
27 of 48

OK, now I'm confused again (maybe). And this is important because in any instance where a client finds UW processes and/or instructions to be annoying, it winds up being the FL's job to take up the slack and make the pain go away.

Can Valeria or another moderator please confirm or correct the statements below?

- Client can fund all milestones when setting up the contract, or only some or only one. If all are funded initially, then the freelancer can move through the milestones, completing work and requesting payment without waiting for the client to fund each one separately. Otherwise, any milestone that is not funded initially, cannot be funded until the one immediately preceding it is completed.

- If milestones are added after the contract is initially set up, they must be funded one at a time and only after each preceding one is completed.

Highlighted
Sachin B Member Since: Feb 12, 2018
28 of 48

This is a huge turn off

Why Upwork kept it like that?

I wanted to allocate multiple milestones at one go and I don't have the option to do so. My job is already started and I have finalised multiple writers, each of them has a working milestone but I want to provide future work for them.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
29 of 48

Hi Sachin, 

You should be able to fund the whole project, and create multiple milestones when you setup the project. You can fund the next milestone once the currently funded milestone is released. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Sachin B Member Since: Feb 12, 2018
30 of 48

I am highly disappointed because Upwork do not allow to fund the NEXT milestone when the current milestone is not submitted by a freelancer. 

I want to provide them work in one go (Job is already in progress) 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS