Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fund Multiple Milestones

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
31 of 48

Hi Sachin,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
32 of 48

@Marcus D wrote:

Any update on this?

Best practice is not to start work until all milestones are funded, but if a client didn't fund them at the beginning by mistake, then what? There is no way to add the funds. Should I just cancel the job? 

Also there doesn't seem to be a help center page telling clients how to fund all milestones, if I need to hold my clients hand through this process then a little help from Upwork would be nice..

Not quite true. Best practice is to not start work on a specific milestone until its funded. You finish one milestone, then don't start the next one until the client funds it. Each time a milestone is paid out the client is prompted to fund the next one.

@Phyllis G wrote:

OK, now I'm confused again (maybe). And this is important because in any instance where a client finds UW processes and/or instructions to be annoying, it winds up being the FL's job to take up the slack and make the pain go away.

Can Valeria or another moderator please confirm or correct the statements below?

- Client can fund all milestones when setting up the contract, or only some or only one. If all are funded initially, then the freelancer can move through the milestones, completing work and requesting payment without waiting for the client to fund each one separately. Otherwise, any milestone that is not funded initially, cannot be funded until the one immediately preceding it is completed.

- If milestones are added after the contract is initially set up, they must be funded one at a time and only after each preceding one is completed.

I'm not sure about the "only some" statement (I'll get to it in a sec), but yes, when creating a fixed price contract the client has the option to set up multiple milestones, and then either fund the whole contract, or just the first milestone.

Once a fixed price contract has started, the only way a client can add more funds to escrow is to pay out any funded milestones, then create a new milestone.

I assume by "only some" they meant that you could create a fixed price contract with, say, 3 milestones, and fund them all, and then once they're done add another milestone and fund that separately.

A couple of examples:

1) I hire a freelancer to draw me 5 cat pictures. I set up a fixed price contract with 5 milestones, and fund the whole project. Each time the freelancer completes a milestone, they can (if they want) start work on the next one straight away, because it's already funded. Once all 5 milestones are complete, the contract is over.

2) I hire a freelancer to draw me 5 cat pictures, but I want to review each one and I may want flexibility with stopping the project if they're not what I want. I set up a fixed price contract with 5 milestones, and only fund the first one. After the freelancer has completed the first milestone, I review it and pay it and then fund the next one. Repeat. The freelancer should only work on one milestone at a time.

3) I hire a freelancer to draw me 5 cat pictures, and I set up 5 milestones and fund the whole project. The freelancer works through the milestones and they are the best cat pictures I've ever seen. I ask them to draw me more cat pictures. But I can't add or fund any more milestones until the previously funded 5 milestones are paid out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
33 of 48

Jennifer D wrote: 

3) I hire a freelancer to draw me 5 cat pictures, and I set up 5 milestones and fund the whole project. The freelancer works through the milestones and they are the best cat pictures I've ever seen. I ask them to draw me more cat pictures. But I can't add or fund any more milestones until the previously funded 5 milestones are paid out.

This is where my client and I got slightly tripped up last year. She hired me to help figure out what kind of pictures to use, and then to draw some cat pictures. By the time those e done, she decided she needed some dog pictures, too, and then a final task to wrap it all up. She wanted separate milestones for the last few things because of her own internal accounting. She added the milestones and then was out of the office for the period of time during which I needed to finish it all. She didn't realize that only the first of the additional three milestones was funded. I couldn't reach her to approve and fund them as I completed them. She's a repeat client and I just did the work and all was fine. But it seems to me this doesn't have to be so cumbersome.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
34 of 48

I can't believe this is still an issue.

Step one for most online businesses is to make it easy for clients and customers to spend money. So funding milestones should be possible to do in whatever way you want, and in whichever order you want. Just allow clients to add as much funds as they want to!

This should be Upworks main goal, as that's where the money is coming from.

35 of 48

I agree that it could be better, but I'm certain that at least some of the issues are because of the legalities around the escrow system.

Highlighted
Mark H Member Since: Jan 26, 2018
36 of 48

Each milestone essentially forms a contract within a contract so escrow will not be the problem. Like many here I have a milestone that will not finish until the end of a year "maintain web pages." Now I want some additional work done before the end of the month and I cant do this up as a milestone. :-(

Highlighted
Community Guru
37 of 48

@Mark H wrote:

Each milestone essentially forms a contract within a contract so escrow will not be the problem. Like many here I have a milestone that will not finish until the end of a year "maintain web pages." Now I want some additional work done before the end of the month and I cant do this up as a milestone. :-(

You can make a partial payment from the existing milestone, or make a second contract. I'm pretty sure you can't have a milestone sitting waiting to be paid for a year - I think after 3 months Upwork will consider the contract dormant anyway (although I might be wrong about this).

Highlighted
Chloe W Member Since: Aug 26, 2018
38 of 48

I have a question if anyone can help me.

I have a client who set up a project at $300 in escrow.

$30 were set up in a milestone and paid, but he couldn't figure out how to set up the others so I just went ahead finished the work. He has set up a milestone and is trying to pay me, the remaining $270 IS in escrow, but he says its asking him to deposit another 270 in order to activate? I assumed once you hit activate it automatically takes the escrow and deposits it into the milestone?

If anyone can please help with this I'd appreciate it.

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
39 of 48

Hi Chloe,

I see that you already have a ticket for this concern, and a member of our team already responded to provide you assistance. Feel free to respond back to the ticket if you have any further questions. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Chloe W Member Since: Aug 26, 2018
40 of 48

Hi Joanne,

I got the email and responded a couple days ago, but my client has contacted be a couple of times to see what's going on. He said he hasn't recieved an email yet, I let the customer support know but haven't heard back. I know it takes a little while for these things to process, I was just concerned about what would happen if he never gets the email or isn't able to respond to the dispute. There isn't any disagreement, he's happy to send it over to me he just didn't know how. Thanks again for your help, I'll be on the lookout for any further email updates. 

Sincerely,

chloe

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS