cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funding future milestones before the current milestone is complete

Oscar S Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
1 of 7

It appears to be impossible to fund future milestones while the current milestone is in progress. Another thread suggests this is how the system functions, but is not definitive. The thread says to fund the entire project when launching the project. But what if I prefer not to fund the entire project?

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Fund-Multiple-Milestones/m-p/154518/highlight/true#M7842

It is often the case that one milestone is in a hold situation, and I want the freelancer to proceed with the next milestone. But I need to be able to fund the next milestone.

If anyone can clarify, please advise.

I was a regular Elance user in 2014 and 2015, and this is my first job with Upwork. My view is that the Upwork web site is a big step backward from Elance. Features are no longer available, and it is not obvious how to perform tasks which were easy to perform on Elance. For example

1. Only one attachment is allowed. (Solution: need to use zip file, which is more hassle)

2. Cannot have a range on the budget (Solution: enter the minimum value, which means no range specified)

3. Difficult to see who has been invited to a job (Found the instructions in the forum)

4. Cannot fund future milestones

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Oscar,

You are able to fund all the milestones at once when making an offer, however, you will need to release them in order. We do appreciate your feedback and will share it with the team for future consideration. We will continue improving the fixed-price model to make it as convenient for both freelancers and clients as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ken C Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
3 of 7

My current job can also benefit from funding a future milestone before the current milestone is complete. Just the act of funding is good enough. And I do not want to fund all milestones. Job is already in progress anyway without funding all milestones (don't know how even if I wanted to).

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
4 of 7
I guess this is what my client was struggling with.
Vaidehi G Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
5 of 7

On Elance, funding of multiple milestones together was possible, in any order. But on Upwork, funding more than one milestone is not an option. It is not even possible to fund them in any order. In any project, there are many deliverables going on simultaneously and the lack of these funding options is quite challenging, especially during a time crunch.

Stephen L Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
6 of 7

I have used many portals and resource supplier systems. The lack of control that the Upwork functions provide to fund milestones is a severe limitation that must be addressed. I support Oscars commentary. The assumption that a fixed price arrangement will never change is short-sighted. I have an FP runnning with an excellent developer at an agreed cost. However, the requirements, timelines and costs have all changed for business reasons. The inability to fund selected milestones in the order I need them as priorities change is a huge limitation. 

As a minimum I need to 

• select which milestones I fund and when
  • re-order the milestones (ideally based upon the date i enter)

It will help the client side of Upwork users to manage the resources and costs efficiently and the supplier side as the limitations impact my abilit to pay for work done. If this not addressed, payment outside the portal is a better option. Upwork Tean -Please help the community

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

It is not exactly what you are asking for, but if you set up each milestone as a separate contract you have control over their order and you can manage each individually. It does not cost any more that way. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS