cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garnor, client search for freelancers

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 9

Although posted in oDesk Community / Community Discussions / "Clients," all are welcome to offer their opinions; that is, Clients, Freelancers, and oDesk staff. Feel free to answer one or more questions. Please note the question number(s) with your replies.

While engaging in social media like that here in the Community:

Question #1: Do oDesk Clients actually search for oDesk freelancers here in the oDesk Community? (Although I doubt that is what oDesk intended).

Question #2: Do oDesk Freelancers actually think they will obtain more jobs on oDesk by participating in the oDesk Community?

Question #3: Do well thought out Internet marketing campaigns (the utilization of simple SEO, SEM, SMM, and SMO practices) for oDesk Community posts combined with efforts outside of the oDesk Community produce positive outcomes when attempting to acquire jobs here on oDesk?

Question $4: Considering internal linking within the Community, within the core site, and between those two areas, what is the one "mechanic" that negatively affects marketing campaign outcomes? (This is an easy one for those engaged in SEO).

Question #5: Would you be interested in using Internet marketing to improve your Web presence in the oDesk Community? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Note: I for one had been waiting for oDesk to implement available Community features like polls (aka "Ideas") and other useful tools, yet no action seems to have been taken to date. It's time to take this Community platform to the next level! Maybe oDesk is just understaffed, or those involved lack the experience and know-how needed to make these things happen. Any comments GM?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

re: "Question #2: Do oDesk Freelancers actually think they will obtain more jobs on oDesk by participating in the oDesk Community?"

Absolutely not. For one thing, whenever I think it might come up, I'm very careful to state that I don't solicit work in the Community Forum.

If I'm being completely honest, I believe that the partcipation of myself and many other frequent Forum participants is due to a biochemical addiction associated with specific aspects of Forum participation that trigger a release of neurochemicals in the "reward/pleasure" centers of our brains.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
BEST ANSWER
3 of 9

@Ronald T wrote:

Although posted in oDesk Community / Community Discussions / "Clients," all are welcome to offer their opinions; that is, Clients, Freelancers, and oDesk staff. Feel free to answer one or more questions. Please note the question number(s) with your replies.

Question #1: Do oDesk Clients actually search for oDesk freelancers here in the oDesk Community? (Although I doubt that is what oDesk intended).

Question #2: Do oDesk Freelancers actually think they will obtain more jobs on oDesk by participating in the oDesk Community?

Question #3: Do well thought out Internet marketing campaigns (the utilization of simple SEO, SEM, SMM, and SMO practices) for oDesk Community posts combined with efforts outside of the oDesk Community produce positive outcomes when attempting to acquire jobs here on oDesk?

Question $4: Considering internal linking within the Community, within the core site, and between those two areas, what is the one "mechanic" that negatively affects marketing campaign outcomes? (This is an easy one for those engaged in SEO).

Question #5: Would you be interested in using Internet marketing to improve your Web presence in the oDesk Community? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Note: I for one had been waiting for oDesk to implement available Community features like polls (aka "Ideas") and other useful tools, yet no action seems to have been taken to date. It's time to take this Community platform to the next level! Maybe oDesk is just understaffed, or those involved lack the experience and know-how needed to make these things happen. Any comments GM?

#1 -  no, but the community is a great resource to get a feel for personality and style which could give certain community members an advantage or disadvantage over non-community contributors

#2 - no, my profile is set to private

#3 - you lost me on the abbreviations but I think no

#4 - even more lost than on #3

#5 - no - no need

Community Guru
4 of 9

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Ronald T wrote:

#1 -  no, but the community is a great resource to get a feel for personality and style which could give certain community members an advantage or disadvantage over non-community contributors

#2 - no, my profile is set to private

#3 - you lost me on the abbreviations but I think no

#4 - even more lost than on #3

#5 - no - no need

Ron's final comments:

#1 Re.: "The community is a great resource to get a feel for personality and style which could give certain community members an advantage or disadvantage over non-community contributors." Very true.

What's funny is that some seeking to better themselves in the Community and as freelancers have done irreparable harm to their reputation by revealing negative character traits and position statements. Fortunately for them, most clients here rarely take the time to explore freelancers' social media presense.

#2 My freelancer profile is usually set to public, and as a result of basic SEO and SMM it is often found via Google search, on job aggregation sites, and other Internet based sites. oDesk client searches have not resulted in any meaningful invitations.

#3 Internet marketing of freelancer profiles on oDesk:

SEO = Search Engine Optimization. Primarily the use of on-site (freelancer's profile) keywords and keyword phrases using oDesk categories / sub-categories and other oDesk information as baseline; supported by off-site SEO and SMM with backlinks to freelancer's profile. Tests reveal it is cost effective, takes little time, and does result in traffic [not necessarily conversions $$$] to freelancer's profile.

SEM = Search Engine Marketing (e..g.,Google AdWords, PPC, etc.). Not cost effective; however, tests reveal AdWords results in some  traffic, yet no ROI..

SMM = Social Media Marketing (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.). Of course it works!

SMO = Social Media Optimization. Not needed.

Conclusion: Use simple SEO and SMM practices to self-promote your freelancer profile on oDesk!

Question: Is Internet marketing of freelancer profiles on oDesk a viable new "niche" service for freelancers.

Answer: Yes, however, although clients are plentiful, hours are long and pay is poor.

#4 As expected, "no-follow" links interrupt the continuity (flow) of internal linking (esp., from the Community to the freelancer's profile). There are workarounds, however.

#5 Me neither! lol....

That's all folks!

Community Guru
5 of 9

#2 My freelancer profile is usually set to public, and as a result of basic SEO and SMM it is often found via Google search, on job aggregation sites, and other Internet based sites. oDesk client searches have not resulted in any meaningful invitations.

Ron, I am pretty sure that I would feel differently about profile marketing if there was an option to keep the earnings history private. The idea of having my earnings history since 2009 on Google is not appealing to me and I perceive it as a major intrusion of privacy. I would be OK with it if it was disclosed as a range, because I do think the earnings history is the ultimate proof of success and helps puts ratings into perspective, but the current level of detail is way too much for my liking.

Community Guru
6 of 9

Krisztina, I agree with you regarding earnings history; it is an invasion of privacy. In the past I had initiated support requests and forum posts in hopes of getting an option to display earnings history or not. I have always believed that oDesk shows the earnings in a poor attempt to promote freelancer sign-ups.

Although I am aware of the downsides that could result from displaying my profile with earnings publicly, these days I set the profile to public since it is useful as a "landing page" e.g., testimonials, history of success, service offerings, etc.

Community Guru
7 of 9

@Ronald T wrote:

In the past I had initiated support requests and forum posts in hopes of getting an option to display earnings history or not. I have always believed that oDesk shows the earnings in a poor attempt to promote freelancer sign-ups.

I've been requesting the same off and on for about 5 years now. My question of why oDesk is hiding the payments to their own freelancers when they otherwise insist that the earnings history must be public information remained unanswered (not surprised, but would love to get an official oDesk take on this). The current policy on this is that if a client is big enough, they can decide whether or not to display payments to their freelancers, but the freelancer has no say in this. Clients who want to do this can simply contact support and opt-in. I think showing dollar values does make the site more credible and probably does encourage sign-ups, but the same could be accomplished through pay ranges or total earnings to date. Actually, earnings to date is way more powerful than what's being displayed now because seeing that someone earned over $100, $300 or $500k on this site says more than someone making $1000 over 100 hours at $10/hr, imho. Elance handles this better, and it would be a nice Elance feature to bring over.

Community Guru
8 of 9

April 14, 2015 EST USA: I added "Garnor" to the original post title. Maybe he will provide a rational answer regarding display of earnings history.

Ace Contributor
Vitalij R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
9 of 9

About Question #2: I think - yes, but mainly without result.

Sincerely, Vitalij - Top Rated brochure designer.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS