🐈
» Forums » Clients » Get an Escrow Refund
Page options
1bddc859
Community Member

Get an Escrow Refund

Hi,

I am a client and have a question about requesting a refund from Escrow or a freelancer.

I hired a freelancer and he is very abusive, nonsense, a stupid, and fake freelancer on Upwork. He did not submit the work.

still, I did not click on "pay now" button, so how to get a refund from Escrow?

Can you please assist with the refund?

Please help me.

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Sheetal,

I'm sorry about your experience working with this freelancer. You can request for an Escrow refund by following these steps:

1. Go to My Jobs to locate the contract
  2. Click the (...) options menu and select End contract
  3. Choose Pay nothing and request a refund or Pay another amount when ending the contract

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
1bddc859
Community Member

Hello, Joanne Marie,

thank you for your time.

I am already done it the process you shared but the freelancer refused to refund any amount.

and he does not complete the work.

what should I do now? 

petra_r
Community Member

Sheetal D wrote:

Hello, Joanne Marie,

I am already done it the process you shared but the freelancer refused to refund any amount.

and he does not complete the work.

what should I do now? 

If the freelancer does not approve the return of the escrow funds, but also does not file a dispute, the funds go back to you after 7 days.

If the freelancer files a dispute, a mediator will help you both to resolve the situation, if possible.

At this point the ball is in the freelancer's court.

How much money is involved?

1bddc859
Community Member

project total amount was 350 USD DOLLARS

and the first milestone was 60 USD DOLLARS

the freelancer did not submit work and he was making more excuses.

no work was submitted by him.

now he submitted a dispute. I got a message of dispute on my Upwork account today.

he is a fake freelancer on Upwork that I feel.

Now I do not want to get work from this freelancer.

Please assist me.

re: "Now I do not want to get work from this freelancer."

The total amount of money in escrow was $60.

The fastest possible way to be done with this entire situation is to simply release the $60 to the freelancer and be done with it.

In fact, if you had simpy released that $60 escrow payment in the first place and then closed the contract, the freelancer would have been unable to file a dispute, and this would have already been over.

If you release all of the money, then you do not need to deal with the freelancer any more.

You are NOT required to do that, however. You may CHOOSE to participate in the dispute process further.

If you want to get money back, then one option you have is to tell the dispute mediator that you are wiling to release half ($30) to the freelancer. If that offer is accepted, then this can end quickly.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths