cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Spammed on Skype

Navyo E Member Since: Nov 18, 2015
1 of 10

I just posted a job and within minutes I'm getting inundated with Skype requests and Skype calls from programmers. I've turned off notifications on Skype on all my devices, but that prevents me from accepting genuine calls.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I am very f***** angry about it.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 10

Your job posting must have given enough info to easily identify your Skype ID and is likely set to Public?

EDIT it so those scoundrels can't identify you, then set the job to "Upwork users only"

3 of 10

Thanks Petra, but I did set to Upwork Users Only before I posted. I just changed my Skype Receive preference from Known Numbers to Contacts. They don't have an option for Private or Public.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 10

I can think of only two possible explanations:

Either:

a) this is a coincidence that had nothing to do with your job posting on Upwork 

or

b) your job posting includes your Skype handle or some identifying information that allowed a person or person to find your Skype handle and send unwanted spam or requests

I can assure you that the behavior of the people trying to contact you is inappropriate and certainly against Upwork rules.  IF those people are Upwork users this would be cause for terminating their accounts here. But at this point we do not know if they are Upwork freelancers.

5 of 10

Thanks Preston, but it is absolutely no coincidence. I do not have my Skype name anywhere on UpWork, so they must have done a public search with my name. I set the posting to "Upwork Users Only", so I can assume they are on UpWork. I can provide a list of all names if it's something to take further. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 10

Hi Navyo,

Please consider removing the website link from your job post or changing the job's visibility to Upwork users only or to invite only. I was able to navigate from your credentials and link on your client's website, the one you included in your job post, to your Behance Portfolio and from the information available there locate you on Skype. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 10

The behavior of those spammers is deplorable. There is no excuse for it. But there is not much Upwork can do to prevent it if somebody opens an opportunity for people like that to click through links and find contact information.

As a practical matter, when I have posted jobs in the past I sometimes link to websites that I want worked on, or I link to external files or pages. But I don't have contact information on those resources.

I have not had a problem with people seeing job postings and spamming me.

My Skype handle is not online ANYWHERE. Nobody in my family even has my Skype handle. So that makes it less likely that I would get spammed on Skype.

8 of 10

Thanks Vladimir. I removed the link and changed to Invite Only. When I created the posting, I selected Upwork Users Only, but I now see that it was Public. I don't know what happened there, and this is a surprise to me as I assumed it would not be public. 

When I click on the round button to the right of the posting, it gives the option for Invite Only, but not for Upwork Users Only. 

Please advise.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 10

Navyo,

When you create or edit your job posting you are able to choose from 3 settings: Invite Only, Upwork Users Only, Everybody can see your post. Once the job is posted you have a quick link to switch between Private (Invite Only) and Public (Upwork Users Only).

It doesn't sound like your job post was available to users who are not registered on Upwork at any point.

~ Valeria
Untitled
10 of 10

Thanks Valeria. I didn't realize this when I created the posting.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS