cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting quotes on jobs

Eli E Member Since: May 25, 2017
1 of 4

Hi there

How do I get freelancers to give objective quotes for a fixed price job?

When posting a job, I'm required to include a budget, which then magically becomes exactly the quote I get from every applicant. 

How do I get freelancers to give me a fair quote based on the job description?

Thanks

Eli

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 4

@Eli E wrote:

When posting a job, I'm required to include a budget, which then magically becomes exactly the quote I get from every applicant.  

Not if I'm the applicant, you wouldn't. When a freelancer decides to send a proposal, Upwork fills in the budget you specifed for the job, BUT, the freelancer can replace this with anything else, either greater or less than the stated budget. So one tactic you could use is require in your job description that applicants *must* submit a quote different from the given budget, if only by $1. That way, you can quickly skip any proposal you get from freelancers who won't or can't read your description before applying.

3 of 4

@Eli E wrote:

Hi there

How do I get freelancers to give objective quotes for a fixed price job?

How do I get freelancers to give me a fair quote based on the job description?

Thanks

Eli

Step one would be to steer clear of applicants who match your budget precisely, unless it's a small job with pretty clear parameters (for example, I occasionally bid precisely a client's budget if the posting is for a single web page or something simple like that and the budget price is on a par with what I'd usually charge for that type of page). 

For the most part, a professional with standard rates and a good sense of what the job entails will give you the price he or she would charge for that type of work, not match your budget precisely.

You can encourage that deviation by mentioning in your posting that your budget is a placeholder and you are looking for the freelancer to tell you how much the project will cost. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Well... You need to understand that I CAN do your project for $100. 

And I CAN do your project for $1500.

I can customize what you will get to fit your budget.

I am putting forth the same level of effort, expertise and professionalism either way. But I can work with your budget by providing more or fewer options, by doing a barebones treatment or a Rolls Royce treatment.

So these quotes are not necessarily wrong.

If that is not what you want, then you need to be very specific, as other posters here have said, and stare in your job posting that freelancers MUST use a different dollar amount thsn your placeholder budget amount.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS