cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghosting Freelancer

M J Member Since: Apr 7, 2016
1 of 12

I am new to Upwork, and just recently had an encounter with a freelancer who had glowing reviews and had made a proposal for a project I invited him to.

First, he wanted to communicate via Skype, and so we complied with him on this, even though he said that he had no objections to messaging via Upwork. But during an interview via Skype with the original developer of our site, he just disappeared from the conversation, and subquent efforts to contact him via Skype and Upwork have been unsuccessful.

I think it's important to be able to create an alert on Upwork for someone like this. Is there a way to? I can't find any.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 12

@M J wrote:

I am new to Upwork, and just recently had an encounter with a freelancer who had glowing reviews and had made a proposal for a project I invited him to.

First, he wanted to communicate via Skype, and so we complied with him on this, even though he said that he had no objections to messaging via Upwork. But during an interview via Skype with the original developer of our site, he just disappeared from the conversation, and subquent efforts to contact him via Skype and Upwork have been unsuccessful.

I think it's important to be able to create an alert on Upwork for someone like this. Is there a way to? I can't find any.

I think you can decline thier bid and will be a place where you can check maybe unresponsive or something like that or even maybe an "other" and be able to write it in. Other than that, that is the only way.  Just consider yourself lucky, at least it was during the interview stage that they disappeared and not halfway through your project!!!!  Good Luck.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
3 of 12

Thanks!

Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
4 of 12

It is a lot better than if he disappeared after taking the job and logging some time LOL

5 of 12

Seems like disappearing contractors is a lot, lot more prevelant in the web development industry than any other. Wonder why that is?

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 12

@M J wrote:

Seems like disappearing contractors is a lot, lot more prevelant in the web development industry than any other. Wonder why that is?

IMHO it's because they apply for projects without reading the entire posting and then when they get to the interview stage realize they don't have the skills to complete the project.  Some will also disappear in the middle of the project for the same reasons.  I think it happens across all the categories but you're right it does seem to happen more in web development. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
7 of 12

Seems like they could just say, "turns out this project isn't right for me," instead of disappearing, like people do in other fields.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 12

The contractor who disappeared during the interview process may well have been socially inelegant and even inarticulate. Nevertheless, he did the client a favor by cutting things short before more time was committed.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 12

M J it is possible the contractor was hoping for someone who didn't know what they needed and would pay a lot for very little work. Once you put your own IT guy into the conversation, he knew that wouldn't happen. I hope you find the right person who can actually do the job for you.

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
10 of 12

Maybe he died.

It happens.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS